andy everett

Default If it is important that the outside of a house breaths, lap sidingok?

I'm in the design stages of a smallish addition to our house. I am
leaning towards using a cement based pre primed siding (anything good or
bad to say about Hardiplank lap siding?). My concern is that after
several coats of paint the siding may form a vapor barrier and trap
moisture. I live in PA. Is this a concern? I could use Hardishingles
which when installed would leave many small channels for vapor to
escape, a lot more work and not the look I'm after.

Thank you for any thoughts,

Andy Everett

I think fiber cement siding as a class of materials is excellent.
One has to learn to work with it.
I think pre priming is a good idea and suggest painting cut ends.
As for paint sealing the house, I can offer this experience:
Our weather board / lap siding / clapboard was painted and all the
joints caulked closed.
( This was a "gift" from the painter who wanted to do a "good" job.)
The paint blistered.
We opened every third lap joint and the problem has not reappeared.
I think good prep work will take care of the sealing up of joints.
TB

Can you elaborate on this, TB? On the back of our house, the paint
blisters terribly - it's ready for a repaint about every 3-4 years, while
the rest of the house survives fine with just an annual washing. and new
paint about 7-8 years. The siding is cedar clapboard. Are you saying that
it's possible the boards on the back of the house are too well sealed for
their own good?

I'm going to paint that side this summer anyhow, so thoughts on loosening
the seams in the clapboards first would be very welcome.

thanks,
Keith

wrote in message
oups.com...
I think fiber cement siding as a class of materials is excellent.
One has to learn to work with it.
I think pre priming is a good idea and suggest painting cut ends.
As for paint sealing the house, I can offer this experience:
Our weather board / lap siding / clapboard was painted and all the
joints caulked closed.
( This was a "gift" from the painter who wanted to do a "good" job.)
The paint blistered.
We opened every third lap joint and the problem has not reappeared.
I think good prep work will take care of the sealing up of joints.
TB

andy everett

k wrote:
Can you elaborate on this, TB? On the back of our house, the paint
blisters terribly - it's ready for a repaint about every 3-4 years, while
the rest of the house survives fine with just an annual washing. and new
paint about 7-8 years. The siding is cedar clapboard. Are you saying that
it's possible the boards on the back of the house are too well sealed for
their own good?

I'm going to paint that side this summer anyhow, so thoughts on loosening
the seams in the clapboards first would be very welcome.

thanks,
Keith

Google groups search, key words: "painting siding wedges"

http://groups-beta.google.com/groups...&qt_s=Se arch

wrote in message
oups.com...

I think fiber cement siding as a class of materials is excellent.
One has to learn to work with it.
I think pre priming is a good idea and suggest painting cut ends.
As for paint sealing the house, I can offer this experience:
Our weather board / lap siding / clapboard was painted and all the
joints caulked closed.
( This was a "gift" from the painter who wanted to do a "good" job.)
The paint blistered.
We opened every third lap joint and the problem has not reappeared.
I think good prep work will take care of the sealing up of joints.
TB

Important question about primary insurance and driver's license residence. QWERTY Home Ownership 3 September 27th 04 07:55 PM
Contacting contractor to buy our house? (Long) Cina Home Ownership 4 March 4th 04 04:31 AM
house rebuilt year Djavdet Home Repair 27 February 20th 04 02:50 AM
House Moisture JAG Home Repair 6 August 29th 03 06:53 PM
another 'house not selling' lament RPC Home Ownership 13 July 29th 03 11:51 PM