David Martel

Default Painting a barn

I have a barn which needs some paint. The old paint is about 8 yrs. old.
8 yrs ago the barn was scraped, washed, primed, and painted with oil base
paint. It is flaking off. The backside of the paint chips or peeled off
paint is not paint or primer but is wood. I believe that the paint has not
failed therefore but that the wood (plywood sheathing) is failing. The
plywood does not seem to be delaminating. I'm at a loss. The barn is more
than 30 yrs old. Are there remedies other than resheathing? Is there an
expected life for this sheathing? Any idea what's going on?

Thanks,
Dave M.

m Ransley

If you are sure it is wood atached to the paint then it may be the
plywood. Latex exterior paints last longer on wood, oil may protect for
moisture better and on horizontal surfaces but does not last like latex.
No photo? You need to find the cause of the issue. Sherwin Williams
will send out a rep to address your issue and even lab tests can de
done. Use their product as they say and you have a warranty . You say
oil primer and paint was used, There are good oil primers and paints and
bad ones, you dont say what was used. Sherwin Williams makes some of the
best paints and as all companeis do only guarntee their Latex products.
They have one with a lifetime guarntee against peeling, but it will do
you no good and have no warranty if it is the wood or original paint
that is failing. Get onsite opinions and get Sherwin Williams out. If
you get out a paint rep , use their products as they specify exactly
then failure is their fault. I have had Sherwin Willaims pay up on
several jobs, Ive had P&L totaly back out.