Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com

Default Oven not turning on

Last night our Maytag oven took an hour to reach 350 degrees. I
verified that it wasn't the temperature controls by hanging a
temperature probe inside the oven. It confirmed that it was taking
that long for the oven to reach temperature.

Today, the burners light, but the oven and broiler won't light.
There's no gas being released at all.

Is there something I can do myself, or do I have to make an expensive
service call.

I will say this: we've lived in this house for 5 years, and EVERY
SINGLE Maytag appliance we bought has broken outside of warranty.

Washer, dryer, fridge, dishwasher, and now stove.
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com

By the way, the ignitors for both the oven and the broiler glow
brightly, but the gas valve never actuates.

Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com

Another "by the way."
The range is a Maytag MGR5730BDQ.

I did some more testing. The broiler lights after about 20 seconds,
so I think that's okay. The oven takes about 5 minutes to light.

I'm ready to blame the ignitor, and I can get one online for $40.
But what I don't understand is, once the burners are lit, why would it
take an hour to get up to 350 degrees? The oven doesn't cycle on and
off during preheating, does it?

If I do buy an ignitor, does anyone know how much disassembly I need
to do to access the connector?

Hope someone can help....I'd like to avoid a service call.

" wrote:

Another "by the way."
The range is a Maytag MGR5730BDQ.

I did some more testing. The broiler lights after about 20 seconds,
so I think that's okay. The oven takes about 5 minutes to light.

I'm ready to blame the ignitor, and I can get one online for $40.
But what I don't understand is, once the burners are lit, why would it
take an hour to get up to 350 degrees? The oven doesn't cycle on and
off during preheating, does it?

If I do buy an ignitor, does anyone know how much disassembly I need
to do to access the connector?

Hope someone can help....I'd like to avoid a service call.

With luck a very helpful appliance guy will see your post and point at the
solution.
Patience.

LB

Stormin Mormon

An ignitor can glow brightly but not ignite the stove. I know from
experience.

If you are repair minded, replace the hot surface ignitor. They are only $30
or so, can't remember. I had to do one, once. As a heating and AC guy, folks
ask me to fix various appliances, and I got to fix a stove one time.

It's a painful story, how I learned this. but the short of it is to just
replace the ignitor.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
By the way, the ignitors for both the oven and the broiler glow
brightly, but the gas valve never actuates.

Stormin Mormon

I was in and out in half an hour or so. Not a big deal.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
Another "by the way."
The range is a Maytag MGR5730BDQ.

I did some more testing. The broiler lights after about 20 seconds,
so I think that's okay. The oven takes about 5 minutes to light.

I'm ready to blame the ignitor, and I can get one online for $40.
But what I don't understand is, once the burners are lit, why would it
take an hour to get up to 350 degrees? The oven doesn't cycle on and
off during preheating, does it?

If I do buy an ignitor, does anyone know how much disassembly I need
to do to access the connector?

Hope someone can help....I'd like to avoid a service call.

Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com

An ignitor can glow brightly but not ignite the stove. I know from
experience.

Replaced the ignitor today. Took about 1 minute, and the oven lights
in under 10 seconds.

Easy, cheap fix. Glad I asked!

Thanks!