Belial Black

Default Framing for Floor Joists

I've got a 100+ yr old brick structure (approx 24x12) with a stone
foundation that has been gutted to its original dirt floor. The previous
floor joists were so badly rotted that we had to *shovel* most of them into
the dumpster. They had been loosely recessed into the brick on one end with
the other end simply sitting free/loose on the dirt. Apparently this sort
of quality design wasn't too uncommon in the area but that's beside the
point.

In the name of simplicity and because of the span, I'd like to try one of
the LVL/lam products for the new joists. I'm not really sure how best to go
about pouring a proper footing/support for the rim joists, though. A small
concrete form with an anchor? There must be something made specifically for
this purpose?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

-BB
BobK207

need more info to give worthwhile answer, maybe some pictures?

bottom line..................ideally no wood with 6" of soil,
definitley no wood/dirt contact.

sounds like you have only 1/2 of a foundation.

cheers

Sacramento Dave

"Belial Black" wrote in message
[...]

If the dirt floor was original sound like you might be better off poring a
slab. But if there were joist, were they on the ground? If the joist are
above ground you might want to poring a new inner foundation using the stone
foundation as part of the form. A picture would help, a engineering Co.
would be best.

Rough framing Todd Fatheree Woodworking 23 May 20th 05 01:06 PM
Rough framing resources B a r r y Woodworking 11 April 5th 05 10:35 PM
Old Framing /Remodeling sk Home Repair 10 January 22nd 04 10:27 PM
framing / plumbing question eric Home Repair 2 August 23rd 03 02:29 AM