pkmicro

Default Hardwood floorquestions

Hi,

I would like an opinion from some expert on installing 3/4" Solid Oak
Hardwood floor.
I want to replace my 15 yr. old carpet with it. Is if it's a good idea to
leave the padding
and put the felt paper on top of the padding and then install the hardwood
on top of the felt paper?
using the padding as underlayment or cushion to reduce the noise. It seems
to me that the padding
should help reduce the noise when walking on it. But I am not sure. TIA

I am not your expert but I would bet whatever's in my wallet that the
carpet padding is taken up and the new floor is nailed directly to the
existing floor, whatever it may be. I have seen in old houses a layer
of what looked like builder's felt or tar paper or something between
the subfloor and finish floor layers. Padding I think would introduce
variability which over time would cause the nails to loosen and squeak.

Edwin Pawlowski

"pkmicro" wrote in message
. Is if it's a good idea to leave the padding
and put the felt paper on top of the padding and then install the hardwood
on top of the felt paper?
using the padding as underlayment or cushion to reduce the noise. It
seems to me that the padding
should help reduce the noise when walking on it. But I am not sure. TIA

Not a good idea. It will introduce some flex in the flooring, padding will
deteriorate over time and turn to a powder. If it was such a good idea, it
would have been done by now.

Goedjn

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 23:11:39 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"pkmicro" wrote in message
. Is if it's a good idea to leave the padding
and put the felt paper on top of the padding and then install the hardwood
on top of the felt paper?
using the padding as underlayment or cushion to reduce the noise. It
seems to me that the padding
should help reduce the noise when walking on it. But I am not sure. TIA

Not a good idea. It will introduce some flex in the flooring, padding will
deteriorate over time and turn to a powder. If it was such a good idea, it
would have been done by now.

You mean like this?

http://www.alvas.com/springstepiv.htm

(Unless you're building a dance floor or a dojo, don't do this.
If you ARE building a dance floor or a dojo, throw away the
old padding, and use a product designed for the use.)