Default New Thoughts on basement mildew

Hi,

Various mags have some new products to use on floor and between wall and
insulation to help basement not trap moisture. I suppose by nature, some
moisture is there because the basement wall is under ground.

Are these new products hype, or do they provide some serious improvement?

Anyone have experience with these new products or ideas of their own on some
of the not seen prep work which must go on before you re-finish the
basement?

Thanks.

Joseph Meehan

j wrote:
Hi,

Various mags have some new products to use on floor and between wall
and insulation to help basement not trap moisture. I suppose by
nature, some moisture is there because the basement wall is under
ground.

Are these new products hype, or do they provide some serious
improvement?

Anyone have experience with these new products or ideas of their own
on some of the not seen prep work which must go on before you
re-finish the basement?

Thanks.

Nothing new there. It is an attempt to keep moisture from coming into
the basement AFTER it already has come through the wall or floor.

In some cases it may work, but it is going to trap that moisture on the
other side of the barrier and in many cases it will not help at all. It all
depends on your problem.

Sorry but most of the time the only fix is to keep the water away from
your foundation in the first place and second to provide additional
ventilation or dehumidifiers.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Joseph Meehan wrote:

...most of the time the only fix is to keep the water away from
your foundation in the first place and second to provide additional
ventilation or dehumidifiers.

The problem may be too much uncontrolled ventilation, esp in an older home
with lots of air leaks or a slab with no vapor barrier.

Basement exhaust with a differential humidistat (a Smart Vent?) can use
100X less electrical energy than a dehumidifier, climate permitting. My
hunch is that most do. A Key West house with no AC might be one exception.

Smart Vent's 12/19/2000 US patent no. 6,161,763 "Module-controlled building
drying system and process" at http://www.freepatentsonline.com describes
a controller connected to indoor and outdoor absolute humidity sensors.
If outdoor air has a lower absolute humidity than indoor air, the controller
turns on a ventilation fan. If outdoor air has higher absolute humidity
than indoor air, it turns the fan off.

Oddly enough, this patent measures "absolute humidity" in grams/m^3 vs
a humidity ratio in g/g, so it looks like the controller would turn on
the fan with outdoor air at 95 F and 17.4 g/m^3 and indoor air at 80 F
and 17.5 g/m^3, even though cooling 1 m^3 of the 95 F air would lower its
volume to (460+80)/(460+95) = 0.973 m^3 and raise the absolute humidity
to 17.4/0.973 = 17.9 g/m^3, so this would add moisture to a house.

As an alternative to "absolute humidity sensors" or calculations,
we might mount an RH sensor on each side of a single pane window or
a steel plate and insulate the plate indoors, except near the sensor,
and turn on the fan when outdoor RH is less than indoor RH.

Nick

Joseph Meehan wrote:

...most of the time the only fix is to keep the water away from
your foundation in the first place and second to provide additional
ventilation or dehumidifiers.

The problem may be too much uncontrolled ventilation, esp in an older
home with lots of air leaks or a slab with no vapor barrier.

True, while less likely in my experience it is certainly possible...

This came from a Humidex installer who said they help more with older houses.

Nick

Stretch

Nick, you scare me.

Move to South Carolina and try your idea here. Then after your house
rots down, you can move back up north.

It does not matter what the RH differaece is unless the temperature is
the same when you ventilate. If the humidity ratio(in grains of water
per pound of dry air) is higher outside than it is inside, you DO NOT
want to ventillate! If the humidity ratio is lower outside than
inside, then ventilating MAY do the trick. Either way, you MUST be
sure that the surface temperatures in the basement are ABOVE the dew
point of the air present. If the air outside is dryer than the air
inside, but the wall temperatures in the basement is still below the
outside air dew point, ventillation WILL NOT HELP!!!!!!!!!

A dehumidifier will use more electricity, but is not likely to damage
anything. Using fans with an improper control system can rot the walls
out!!! The cost of repairing the walls will be MUCH HIGHER than the
cost of the electricity saved!

In order to determine the proper fix for the OP problem, I would want
to check the weathe data for his area, measure the wall temperatures
over time with data loggers and measure the humidity inside and outside
over time with data loggers. He will be safe, if a littel poorer with
a dehumidifier, assuming he drains it outside or into a proper drain.
Using your RH sensor scheme may destroy his house!!!

I can't see how you can recommend such an option without measuring the
conditions inside and outside his house with data loggers and his wood
moisture in the basement walls using a wood moisture meter.

You have lots of nifty formulas Nick, but seem to have no idea on
proper practical application. Here in the "land of the midnight
fungus", recommending ventillation to solve such a problem is
downright irresponsible!

Please remember Nick, most people with mosture problems do not live in
dry climates! Therefore dehumidifiers are usually a better solution to
high humidity than exhaust fans.

By the way, if he installs a $250.00 dehumidifier instead of a
$1,000.00 Humidex exhaust fan, the money he saves on equipment will be
enough to pay for dehumidifier electricity for many, many years!! And
his walls will be safe!

Please start recommending practical solutions that are climate
specific, instead of your pie in the sky (unless it is cherry pie)
control schemes requiring computers and more psychrometric knowledge
than the homeowner is likely to ever possess.

Stretch

pjm@see_my_sig_for_address.com

On 19 Jun 2005 08:42:02 -0700, "Stretch" wrote:

Nick, you scare me.

He has basement mildew on his thoughts :-)

I can't see how you can recommend such an option without measuring the
conditions inside and outside his house with data loggers and his wood
moisture in the basement walls using a wood moisture meter.

It's easy in Nick-land - the laws of physics are a bit
different there, and very much more flexible :-)

You have lots of nifty formulas Nick, but seem to have no idea on
proper practical application. Here in the "land of the midnight
fungus", recommending ventillation to solve such a problem is
downright irresponsible!

But .... but .... it looked good in his little Qbasic program
at his desk !!!!!!

Please start recommending practical solutions that are climate
specific, instead of your pie in the sky (unless it is cherry pie)
control schemes requiring computers and more psychrometric knowledge
than the homeowner is likely to ever possess.

Or, indeed, Nick himself :-)

Click every day here to feed an animal that needs you today !!!

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Free Temperature / Pressure charts for 38 Ref's http://pmilligan.net/pmtherm/

Stretch wrote:

Move to South Carolina and try your idea here.

No thanks. Altho houses in western NC seem cheap. BTW, this scheme might work
in a reasonably airtight house that can store some dryth in Charleston, with
w = 0.0166 on an average July day and w 0.0100 from October through April.
I could determine that with a little TMY2 simulation. You probably couldn't.

It does not matter what the RH differaece is unless the temperature is
the same when you ventilate.

I'm not sure what you are saying or why you are saying it, but it seems
to me that you are wrong. For instance, if a basement is 50 F at 70% RH
and outdoor air is 40 F at 50%, it's time to ventilate. Perhaps you would
like to clarify your claim. I also suggested a way to make a bit of indoor
and outdoor the same temp so we could simply compare RHs as a measure of
the humidity ratios. Sounds like you didn't understand that. You may be
over your head and mired in old cut-and-dried HVAC techniques in this case.

That's what I said (with one L :-)

If the humidity ratio is lower outside than inside, then ventilating MAY
do the trick.

It will. The question is how often that happens and for how long, compared
to how fast the house collects moisture and how much it can store. Looks like
it works fine in Phila, with a max 75 wet hours in a row in a typical year.

Either way, you MUST be sure that the surface temperatures in the basement
are ABOVE the dew point of the air present.

Now think hard: if we ventilate when the weight of water in a pound of
basement air is more than the weight of water in a pound of outdoor air,
we are removing water from the basement. If you think we are adding water,
where do you think it comes from?

If the air outside is dryer than the air inside, but the wall temperatures
in the basement is still below the outside air dew point, ventillation
WILL NOT HELP!!!!!!!!!

I disagree (with one L and an "are" vs "is" :-)

Using fans with an improper control system can rot the walls out!!!

I suggest using fans with a proper control system.

In order to determine the proper fix for the OP problem, I would want
to check the weathe data for his area, measure the wall temperatures
over time with data loggers and measure the humidity inside and outside
over time with data loggers.

That might see you into retirement.

Using your RH sensor scheme may destroy his house!!!

Nope. The patent described a technique for drying out flood-damaged houses.

I can't see how you can recommend such an option without measuring the
conditions inside and outside his house with data loggers and his wood
moisture in the basement walls using a wood moisture meter.

I know... Pity.

Here in the "land of the midnight fungus", recommending ventillation
to solve such a problem is downright irresponsible!

Recommending dehumidifiers to solve such a problem is downright irresponsible!

Please remember Nick, most people with mosture problems do not live in
dry climates! Therefore dehumidifiers are usually a better solution to
high humidity than exhaust fans.

I disagree (about moIsture :-)

Please start recommending practical solutions that are climate specific...

Unlike you, I've been doing so all along, with detailed weather data.

Nick

Hi,

Thanks for all the feedback. I don't think I have a problem, but I am
wondering if there is low tech method to check the temp of the inside versus
the outside. I am thinking just a few data points over the week with a
thermometer outside and one inside? Does it need to be on the wall?

I think I am looking for general best-practices if one is in the planning
stages for re-finishing the basement. Unfortunately, the basement only has
one door to outside, but no windows.

As for best practice, using a de-humidifer appears to be a good one for the
list. I have a sump-pump and that could be used to get water out. True? That
is where a/c for house dumps it water.

I had seen in a mag some type of flooring material to put over concrete
floor and then just thought maybe there were other best-practice
construction ideas.

But, it sounds like some solutions might not be good, but depend on the
problem. Not clear I have a problem, though.

Any other comments welcome. Thanks for your time and advice.

Thanks.

JIm

"Stretch" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Hi again,

Forgot to mention we are on East Coast in Maryland. It does get humid in
summer. Winter not too cold, but humidity is always up there during the peak
of summer.

Thanks.

JIm

"Stretch" wrote:

...if he installs a $250.00 dehumidifier instead of a $1,000.00 Humidex
exhaust fan, the money he saves on equipment will be enough to pay for
dehumidifier electricity for many, many years!!

A Smart Vent seems like a much better solution to me.

TURTLE

wrote in message
[...]

Paul

This is Turtle.

Never try to put down someone that is way above your level of abilitys for you
will look like a Fool.

TURTLE

Stretch

Nick, The weather data is nice, but only available for selected cities.
The weather data says 78 degrees wet bulb here in Myrtle Beach, but I
commonly MEASURE over 80 degrees wet bulb.. Yesterday it was 83 degrees
wet bulb in Murrells Inlet for 3 hours. Murrells Inlet is just 15
miles south of Myrtle Beach, SC.

BTW, I am glad you are a good speller.

If the air outside is dryer than the air inside, but the wall temperatures
in the basement is still below the outside air dew point, ventillation
WILL NOT HELP!!!!!!!!!

I disagree (with one L and an "are" vs "is" :-)

You can disagree all you want, the walls will still sweat!

Stretch

Stretch wrote:

Yesterday it was 83 degrees wet bulb in Murrells Inlet for 3 hours...

A time to stop basement ventilation, but unimportant in the long run.

Nick

Stretch

Nick,

Based on long term data logger use here, the times when ventilation
will work is from the middle of Otober to the middle of March.
Basically late fall, all winter and early spring. During that time,
you may need to worry about freezing pipes.

The further south you go, especially in coastal areas, the more extreme
conditions are.

Stretch

Stretch wrote:

Based on long term data logger use here, the times when ventilation
will work is from the middle of Otober to the middle of March.

We've been through this before. NREL says Wilmington NC has a 63.4 F
deep ground temp, with these long-term averages...

Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct

Avg daily max 74.0 80.8 85.4 88.5 87.6 85.2 76.9 F
humidity ratio 0.0080 0.0114 0.0147 0.0168 0.0167 0.0142 0.0099
vapor pressure 0.380 0.539 0.691 0.787 0.782 0.668 0.469 "Hg
dew point 56.7 60.6 67.7 71.5 71.3 66.7 56.7 F

Basically late fall, all winter and early spring. During that time,
you may need to worry about freezing pipes.

No. During that time, we'd move air near the basement floor upstairs
vs outdoors to store dryness in the basement.

Nick

Stretch

Nick,

My MEASURED data does not agree with your book data. Myrtle Beach is
only about 50 miles south of Wilmington, NC; so the data should be
close. Who is NREL anyway? Spell out and don't use abbreviations so
much.

Here in the summer the normal dew point is 75 to 82 degrees. If you
used real data nstead of old book data, you would get different
results. Any one trying to dry out a basement or crawl space should
MEASURE their local conditions any way.

Stretch

Stretch wrote:

My MEASURED data does not agree with your book data...

Too bad. Perhaps you should measure and average for 30 years, like NREL.

Who is NREL anyway?

Google is your friend.

Any one trying to dry out a basement or crawl space should
MEASURE their local conditions any way.

I disagree. Short term measurements can mislead, and nearby long-term
averages are sufficient, and less trouble.

Nick

Stretch

Nick,
Here s data logger data from one day in June 2000.

Stretch

Date Time Temp DP RH (%)

06/17/00 00:22:17.0 78.88 74.58 87.2
06/17/00 01:22:17.0 78.53 74.72 87.6
06/17/00 02:22:17.0 77.7 74.46 88.9
06/17/00 03:22:17.0 77.27 73.78 88.9
06/17/00 04:22:17.0 77.09 73.34 87.6
06/17/00 05:22:17.0 76.83 73.1 88.9
06/17/00 06:22:17.0 76.48 73.22 89.3
06/17/00 07:22:17.0 77.83 74.02 87.6
06/17/00 08:22:17.0 77.75 73.9 87.2
06/17/00 09:22:17.0 81.53 75.6 82.3
06/17/00 10:22:17.0 82.28 75.96 81.4
06/17/00 11:22:17.0 84.47 77.34 79.5
06/17/00 12:22:17.0 85.6 76.84 74.7
06/17/00 13:22:17.0 86.73 77.54 74.7
06/17/00 14:22:17.0 87.59 77.42 72.7
06/17/00 15:22:17.0 84.02 75.92 77.6
06/17/00 16:22:17.0 87.27 76.58 70.7
06/17/00 17:22:17.0 93.54 80 65.7
06/17/00 18:22:17.0 85.46 76.72 76.1
06/17/00 19:22:17.0 81.04 74.74 81.8
06/17/00 20:22:17.0 79.46 74.96 86.3
06/17/00 21:22:17.0 78.58 74.86 88
06/17/00 22:22:17.0 78.62 75.3 89.3
06/17/00 23:22:17.0 78.8 75.16 88.9

Stretch wrote:

Here s data logger data from one day in June 2000.

Date Time Temp DP RH (%)

06/17/00 00:22:17.0 78.88 74.58 87.2
06/17/00 01:22:17.0 78.53 74.72 87.6
06/17/00 02:22:17.0 77.7 74.46 88.9...

A single day is unimportant.

Nick

Noon-Air

Stretch,
All Nick knows is books and numbers..... He knows nothing of real life.
Remember the old Far Side cartoon whith the scientists looking at the
chalkboard that is filled with figures and calculations on both ends and in
the middle has some words "Then a miracle happens" ??
Thats Nick

"Stretch" wrote in message
oups.com...
Nick,
Here s data logger data from one day in June 2000.

Stretch

Date Time Temp DP RH (%)

06/17/00 00:22:17.0 78.88 74.58 87.2
06/17/00 01:22:17.0 78.53 74.72 87.6
06/17/00 02:22:17.0 77.7 74.46 88.9
06/17/00 03:22:17.0 77.27 73.78 88.9
06/17/00 04:22:17.0 77.09 73.34 87.6
06/17/00 05:22:17.0 76.83 73.1 88.9
06/17/00 06:22:17.0 76.48 73.22 89.3
06/17/00 07:22:17.0 77.83 74.02 87.6
06/17/00 08:22:17.0 77.75 73.9 87.2
06/17/00 09:22:17.0 81.53 75.6 82.3
06/17/00 10:22:17.0 82.28 75.96 81.4
06/17/00 11:22:17.0 84.47 77.34 79.5
06/17/00 12:22:17.0 85.6 76.84 74.7
06/17/00 13:22:17.0 86.73 77.54 74.7
06/17/00 14:22:17.0 87.59 77.42 72.7
06/17/00 15:22:17.0 84.02 75.92 77.6
06/17/00 16:22:17.0 87.27 76.58 70.7
06/17/00 17:22:17.0 93.54 80 65.7
06/17/00 18:22:17.0 85.46 76.72 76.1
06/17/00 19:22:17.0 81.04 74.74 81.8
06/17/00 20:22:17.0 79.46 74.96 86.3
06/17/00 21:22:17.0 78.58 74.86 88
06/17/00 22:22:17.0 78.62 75.3 89.3
06/17/00 23:22:17.0 78.8 75.16 88.9

Stretch

Noon wrote:
Stretch,
All Nick knows is books and numbers..... He knows nothing of real life.

Remember the old Far Side cartoon whith the scientists looking at the
chalkboard that is filled with figures and calculations on both ends
and in
the middle has some words "Then a miracle happens" ??
Thats Nick

Noon, guess your right. Arguing with Nick is like mud wrestling with
pigs. The pigs love it and you get all dirty :-)

Stretch

Noon-Air wrote:

Remember the old Far Side cartoon whith the scientists looking at the
chalkboard that is filled with figures and calculations on both ends and in
the middle has some words "Then a miracle happens" ??

You might simply say "I do not understand what you are talking about"
and ask a few questions.

Nick

Stretch wrote:

Based on long term data logger use here, the times when ventilation
will work is from the middle of Otober to the middle of March.

We've been through this before. NREL says Wilmington NC has a 63.4 F
deep ground temp, with these long-term averages...

Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct

Avg daily max 74.0 80.8 85.4 88.5 87.6 85.2 76.9 F

Avg daily min 50.5 59.3 67.5 71.7 71.0 65.3 53.7 F
humidity ratio 0.0080 0.0114 0.0147 0.0168 0.0167 0.0142 0.0099
vapor pressure 0.380 0.539 0.691 0.787 0.782 0.668 0.469 "Hg
dew point 56.7 60.6 67.7 71.5 71.3 66.7 56.7 F

Outdoor air that leaks into the basement in October through May won't
condense on the 63.4 F floor. It might in June through September...

If the house is AC'd to 80 F and 55% RH (the most economical corner of
ASHRAE-55 2004), with Td = (460+80)/(1-ln(0.55)(460+80)/9621) = 62.5 F
and we move air near the basement floor up into the house whenever its
RH rises to 60%, the house air that replaces it won't condense in the
basement. It will warm the basement floor while providing free coolth
for the house :-)

If the house is not air-conditioned, we have at least 5 low-energy
dehumidification/cooling strategies: 1) improve house airsealing,
2) fix other basement moisture sources, eg vent unvented clothes
dryers, remove firewood stored in the basement, fix gutter leaks
and improper grading, and paint floorslabs installed with no vapor
barriers, 3) dry out the basement concrete in wintertime by keeping
the RH low (this only requires a little warm air from the house),
so the concrete can absorb moisture from air leaks in summertime,
4) ventilate the basement with cool dry outdoor air in summertime,
on rare occasions when that's possible, and 5) circulate air between
the basement and the living space during the day with no ventilation
to the outdoors, when the living space requires cooling.

We (not you :-) might tweak these strategies with a TMY2 simulation.

Nick

TURTLE

wrote in message
Stretch wrote:

Here s data logger data from one day in June 2000.

Date Time Temp DP RH (%)

06/17/00 00:22:17.0 78.88 74.58 87.2
06/17/00 01:22:17.0 78.53 74.72 87.6
06/17/00 02:22:17.0 77.7 74.46 88.9...

A single day is unimportant.

Nick

This is Turtle.

Nick , Two question here. Nick would you stay in a house at 17ºC and 88% RH ?

If you could lower one of them and live there . Which one would you lower?

If you say you know the hvac business you will know exactly which one you want
lower to get by.

TURTLE

TURTLE wrote:

This is Turtle.

Hiya Turtle.

Nick , Two question here. Nick would you stay in a house at 17ºC and 88% RH?

No. Too cold and moldy.

If you could lower one of them and live there . Which one would you lower?

Neither.

Nick

20 CLO = 1'clothing insulation (clo)
30 MET=1.1'metabolic rate (met)
40 WME=0'external work (met)
50 VEL=.1'air velocity
60 PA=0'water vapor pressure
70 DEF FNPS(T)=EXP(16.6536-4030.183/(TA+235))'sat vapor pressure, kPa
80 DATA 62.6,88
90 DATA 71.689,88
100 FOR CASE = 1 TO 2
110 READ TA,RH
120 TA=(TA-32)/1.8
130 TR=TA
140 IF PA=0 THEN PA=RH*10*FNPS(TA)'water vapor pressure, Pa
150 ICL=.155*CLO'clothing resistance (m^2K/W)
160 M=MET*58.15'metabolic rate (W/m^2)
170 W=WME*58.15'external work in (W/m^2)
180 MW=M-W'internal heat production
190 IF ICL.078 THEN FCL=1+1.29*ICL ELSE FCL=1.05+.645*ICL'clothing factor
200 HCF=12.1*SQR(VEL)'forced convection conductance
210 TAA=TA+273'air temp (K)
220 TRA=TR+273'mean radiant temp (K)
230 TCLA=TAA+(35.5-TA)/(3.5*(6.45*ICL+.1))'est clothing temp
240 P1=ICL*FCL:P2=P1*3.96:P3=P1*100:P4=P1*TAA'intermed iate values
250 P5=308.7-.028*MW+P2*(TRA/100)^4
260 XN=TCLA/100
270 XF=XN
280 N=0'number of iterations
290 EPS=.00015'stop iteration when met
300 XF=(XF+XN)/2'natural convection conductance
310 HCN=2.38*ABS(100*XF-TAA)^.25
320 IF HCFHCN THEN HC=HCF ELSE HC=HCN
330 XN=(P5+P4*HC-P2*XF^4)/(100+P3*HC)
340 N=N+1
350 IF N150 GOTO 480
360 IF ABS(XN-XF)EPS GOTO 300
370 TCL=100*XN-273'clothing surface temp (C)
380 HL1=.00305*(5733-6.99*MW-PA)'heat loss diff through skin
390 IF MW58.15 THEN HL2=.42*(MW-58.15) ELSE HL2=0'heat loss by sweating
400 HL3=.000017*M*(5867-PA)'latent respiration heat loss
410 HL4=.0014*M*(34-TA)'dry respiration heat loss
420 HL5=3.96*FCL*(XN^4-(TRA/100)^4)'heat loss by radiation
430 HL6=FCL*HC*(TCL-TA)'heat loss by convection
440 TS=.303*EXP(-.036*M)+.028'thermal sensation transfer coefficient
450 PMV=TS*(MW-HL1-HL2-HL3-HL4-HL5-HL6)'predicted mean vote
460 PPD=100-95*EXP(-.03353*PMV^4-.2179*PMV^2)'predicted % dissatisfied
470 GOTO 490
480 PMV=99999!:PPD=100
490 PRINT TA,RH,PMV,PPD
500 NEXT CASE

Temp RH PMV score % people dissatisfied

17 C 88 -1.119888 31.42974
22.04945 88 7.560884E-06 5.00000

Innova AirTech Instruments has an excellent comfort web site...
http://www.impind.de.unifi.it/Impind/didattica/materiale/'microclima/innova/thermal.htm

TURTLE

wrote in message
TURTLE wrote:

This is Turtle.

Hiya Turtle.

Nick , Two question here. Nick would you stay in a house at 17ºC and 88% RH?

No. Too cold and moldy.

If you could lower one of them and live there . Which one would you lower?

Neither.

Nick

This is Turtle.

NO Nick , you had to stay in this house but which would you lower or raise if
you could change just one of them. You can only raise or lower just one of them
and not the other. Which one would you raise or lower ?

TURTLE