Magnusfarce

Default Add Sand to Rock Base for Retaining Wall Bricks ?

I'm putting in a low planter retaining wall along the fences in my back yard
and want to know what the best material for a base is. These are the small
locking retaining bricks and I'll go about four courses high for a total of
about 12 to 14 inches. I need to put a base under them and will use rock,
but I don't know whether to use river rock (pea gravel) or larger crushed
rock. I'm putting a train track along the top, so it's important for these
to be very stable.

Also, should I add some fill sand to whichever rock is used for the base to
help lock it place, or will this interfere with drainage? Thanks in
advance.

- Magnusfarce

Rudy

I need to put a base under them and will use rock,
but I don't know whether to use river rock (pea gravel) or larger crushed
rock. I'm putting a train track along the top, so it's important for
these
to be very stable.

Dont use pea gravel..too "rolly"
Use crushed rock, 3/4" minus, level and tamp down well, then its easy after
that.

My wall is similar but its 35 feet long x 5 feet high using 84 lb: 18X12X8
interlocking blocks.
Backfilled the courses, and behind the wall right to the top with the same
gravel.

Also, should I add some fill sand to whichever rock is used for the base
help lock it place, or will this interfere with drainage?

sand isnt required

Knocking down non load bearing wall PeteZahut UK diy 7 May 5th 05 01:13 PM
plastering Jon W UK diy 12 March 8th 04 11:13 PM
Concrete Pad with single brick wall on 3 sides Julian UK diy 4 February 29th 04 09:31 AM
"Damp" internal wall - initial measurements made. Any ideas? Clive Long,UK UK diy 5 January 30th 04 09:28 AM
Wall falling down? Alex UK diy 8 August 29th 03 10:54 AM