Bryan Martin

Default shingle roofing

Ok stupid question here but oh well......

I am doing a flat angled roof (not A frame) and want to shingle it. I cant
figure out how to start at the top of the flat angle with the shingle
because the place I would nail to would be exposed. Throw me a bone here!

--
My hourly rates:
$35 per hour.

Bryan Martin wrote:
Ok stupid question here but oh well......

I am doing a flat angled roof (not A frame) and want to shingle it. I cant
figure out how to start at the top of the flat angle with the shingle
because the place I would nail to would be exposed. Throw me a bone here!

"Flat angled roof"? What's that? How about you look he
http://www.roofhelper.com/typesofroofs.htm?source=types and use a more
common term.

I think you're talking about a shed roof, I'd treat it as standard ridge,
only where the pitch on the other roof is vertical. Nail a drip edge up,
wrap the ridge cap shingles over the top in the traditonal manner, dapping
some roofing cement over the last nails you put up..

John
--
Remove the dead poet to e-mail, tho CC'd posts are unwelcome.
Mean People Suck - It takes two deviations to get cool.
tom

Bryan wrote: Ok stupid question here but oh well......

I am doing a flat angled roof (not A frame) and want to shingle it. I
cant
figure out how to start at the top of the flat angle with the shingle
because the place I would nail to would be exposed. Throw me a bone
here!

Why would you start at the top? Please re-state your question using
different words. Sorry. Tom

Travis Jordan

Bryan Martin wrote:
Ok stupid question here but oh well......

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/roof/index.htm

Bryan Martin

Im doing a shed roof. Looking at the page you sent lets say I started
laying shingles at the south west corner of the roof displayed on the page.
The problem or part I am missing is once I get to the north or top of the
roof for the last run of shingles do I just nail them up and put cement over
the nails leaving the part that normally tucks under the next row exposed?
I googled what ridge caps are but it appears its used on the first row or
low/south side of the roof.

Bryan Martin wrote:
Im doing a shed roof. Looking at the page you sent lets say I started
laying shingles at the south west corner of the roof displayed on the page.
The problem or part I am missing is once I get to the north or top of the
roof for the last run of shingles do I just nail them up and put cement over
the nails leaving the part that normally tucks under the next row exposed?
I googled what ridge caps are but it appears its used on the first row or
low/south side of the roof.

Check out how ridges are normally shingled. I'm thinking that doing the
same thing at the top of your shed roof, with one side of the ridge
shingles going down to a drip edge should do the job: essentially you'd be
making a slatbox style roof with a vanishingly small short side.

John

wrote in message
Bryan Martin wrote:
[...]

tom

Bryan wrote: Im doing a shed roof. Looking at the page you sent lets
say I started
laying shingles at the south west corner of the roof displayed on the
page.
The problem or part I am missing is once I get to the north or top of
the
roof for the last run of shingles do I just nail them up and put cement
over
the nails leaving the part that normally tucks under the next row
exposed?
I googled what ridge caps are but it appears its used on the first row
or
low/south side of the roof

Shingle up
as far as necessary to allow your flashing to cover the top shingles'
nails. Cut the tops of the shingles even with the top of the decking.
The flashing will be a piece of bent aluminum or copper or whatever,
nailed to the top row of shingles at or below the exposure line. The
remainder of the flashing will be bent (on a brake) over the ridge. It
should hang down enough to prevent wind-driven rains from penetrating.
HTH. Tom

Metal Roofing ptgoodman Home Repair 7 July 13th 06 02:47 AM
Wood Shingle on 4/12 roof? [email protected] Home Repair 2 April 29th 05 04:59 PM
metal roofing jdk Home Repair 2 November 5th 04 12:22 AM
Shingle or Roll roofing question Jdmst Home Repair 3 September 14th 04 09:47 PM
Rolled Roofing Blowing Off Manufactured Home, Repair Expensive? AJ Home Ownership 5 July 9th 03 12:12 AM