Otter

Default How can I dampen the sound of water running thru my pipes?

We recently bought a new build house. We are very pleased with it and
it seems to be built good and solid (unlike our last house).

One thing that irks me is that water running thru the pipes is very
noticable when I have the outside sprinklers on, or if someone is
taking a shower (and when the bath is being run it sounds like the
ceiling is going to come crashing down).

I figure there's not a lot I can do about the pipes inside the walls,
but I wonder what I can do to deaden the sound from the pipes in the
basement, which are all exposed. Would simply adding foam insulation
help or would I have to do something on a more larger scale? The
basement pipes are all ceiling level so they are close to the floor on
the main floor, which is probably why they're so loud.

Thanks

-Otter
Joseph Meehan

Otter wrote:
We recently bought a new build house. We are very pleased with it and
it seems to be built good and solid (unlike our last house).

One thing that irks me is that water running thru the pipes is very
noticable when I have the outside sprinklers on, or if someone is
taking a shower (and when the bath is being run it sounds like the
ceiling is going to come crashing down).

I figure there's not a lot I can do about the pipes inside the walls,
but I wonder what I can do to deaden the sound from the pipes in the
basement, which are all exposed. Would simply adding foam insulation
help or would I have to do something on a more larger scale? The
basement pipes are all ceiling level so they are close to the floor on
the main floor, which is probably why they're so loud.

Thanks

-Otter

In my home it is the meter that makes the noise. I suspect it needs
replaced, but I have not bothered.

As for the pipes themselves there are two approaches. First you want to
reduce the transfer of vibration between the pipe and the framing. Adding
some sort of material to separate the pipe from the framing is good. Foam
or rubber between the pipe and the hanger devices used should help.

Next is the sound coming from the pipe itself. Pipe insulation may
help, pay special attention to any connections where the pipe bends etc.

Good Luck.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

SQLit

"Otter" wrote in message
We recently bought a new build house. We are very pleased with it and
it seems to be built good and solid (unlike our last house).

One thing that irks me is that water running thru the pipes is very
noticable when I have the outside sprinklers on, or if someone is
taking a shower (and when the bath is being run it sounds like the
ceiling is going to come crashing down).

I figure there's not a lot I can do about the pipes inside the walls,
but I wonder what I can do to deaden the sound from the pipes in the
basement, which are all exposed. Would simply adding foam insulation
help or would I have to do something on a more larger scale? The
basement pipes are all ceiling level so they are close to the floor on
the main floor, which is probably why they're so loud.

Thanks

-Otter

Just went through this myself. But I had the walls open.
Basically I insulated all of the hot pipes and then took plumbers tape
(strapping tape) and screwed the pipes down on every stud.
http://www.plumbingworld.com/tapes.html

I strapped down all of the cold water pipes on every stud and changed the
hose bibs out from gate valves to ball valves.
Noise from the back hose bib is reduced ~20-30%
Noise from the front is gone.
If your pipes are in holes you could use door shims to wedge the pipe to the
stud.
My biggest source of noise was my water heater. Inside, basically center of
the home. I got the biggest reduction when those pipes were strapped down
and insulated.

Good luck finding and reducing the source of the noise.

Nick Hull

In article ,
Otter wrote:

We recently bought a new build house. We are very pleased with it and
it seems to be built good and solid (unlike our last house).

One thing that irks me is that water running thru the pipes is very
noticable when I have the outside sprinklers on, or if someone is
taking a shower (and when the bath is being run it sounds like the
ceiling is going to come crashing down).

I figure there's not a lot I can do about the pipes inside the walls,
but I wonder what I can do to deaden the sound from the pipes in the
basement, which are all exposed. Would simply adding foam insulation
help or would I have to do something on a more larger scale? The
basement pipes are all ceiling level so they are close to the floor on
the main floor, which is probably why they're so loud.

Thanks

-Otter

Bigger pipes = slower speed = less noise.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
No

On the drain side you could convert to cast iron pipes. In basement should
be pretty easy to do with little disruption. It would involve opening walls
and ceiling elsewhere.

"Otter" wrote in message
We recently bought a new build house. We are very pleased with it and
it seems to be built good and solid (unlike our last house).

One thing that irks me is that water running thru the pipes is very
noticable when I have the outside sprinklers on, or if someone is
taking a shower (and when the bath is being run it sounds like the
ceiling is going to come crashing down).

I figure there's not a lot I can do about the pipes inside the walls,
but I wonder what I can do to deaden the sound from the pipes in the
basement, which are all exposed. Would simply adding foam insulation
help or would I have to do something on a more larger scale? The
basement pipes are all ceiling level so they are close to the floor on
the main floor, which is probably why they're so loud.

Thanks

-Otter

use ear plugs

Turn the water off

Detergents and cleaners FAQ [email protected] UK diy 49 September 25th 05 11:34 PM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
I need a little advice on running waterlines in an uninsulated crawlspace ozark Home Repair 12 January 29th 04 05:23 AM