Otter

Default How can I dampen the sound of water running thru my pipes?

We recently bought a new build house. We are very pleased with it and
it seems to be built good and solid (unlike our last house).

One thing that irks me is that water running thru the pipes is very
noticable when I have the outside sprinklers on, or if someone is
taking a shower (and when the bath is being run it sounds like the
ceiling is going to come crashing down).

I figure there's not a lot I can do about the pipes inside the walls,
but I wonder what I can do to deaden the sound from the pipes in the
basement, which are all exposed. Would simply adding foam insulation
help or would I have to do something on a more larger scale? The
basement pipes are all ceiling level so they are close to the floor on
the main floor, which is probably why they're so loud.

Thanks

-Otter