floax

Default Wire shelving fell

I had been cleaning out my closets this past weekend, and finally got a
lot of boxes on top of our wire shelving that should have never been
put up there. However this morning, I awoke to the sound of one of the
shelving falling down. The anchors in the wall just came out.

I figure the weight from up top was keeping the shelf balanced with the
weight of the clothes hanging. Once the weight on top was removed, the
clothes was just to much.

So, I'm planning to spackle and then re-install the wire shelf (with
half as much clothes hanging this time!) My question is will the
spackle be enough to hold if I put the anchors in the same place? Or
will I need to drill new holes for the anchors in different locations?

SteveB

"floax" wrote in message
ups.com...
I had been cleaning out my closets this past weekend, and finally got a
lot of boxes on top of our wire shelving that should have never been
put up there. However this morning, I awoke to the sound of one of the
shelving falling down. The anchors in the wall just came out.

I figure the weight from up top was keeping the shelf balanced with the
weight of the clothes hanging. Once the weight on top was removed, the
clothes was just to much.

So, I'm planning to spackle and then re-install the wire shelf (with
half as much clothes hanging this time!) My question is will the
spackle be enough to hold if I put the anchors in the same place? Or
will I need to drill new holes for the anchors in different locations?

Spackle is AWFULLY strong, but I personally prefer to hit studs or rafters.

Steve

RicodJour

floax wrote:
I had been cleaning out my closets this past weekend, and finally got a
lot of boxes on top of our wire shelving that should have never been
put up there. However this morning, I awoke to the sound of one of the
shelving falling down. The anchors in the wall just came out.

I figure the weight from up top was keeping the shelf balanced with the
weight of the clothes hanging. Once the weight on top was removed, the
clothes was just to much.

So, I'm planning to spackle and then re-install the wire shelf (with
half as much clothes hanging this time!) My question is will the
spackle be enough to hold if I put the anchors in the same place? Or
will I need to drill new holes for the anchors in different locations?

The little plastic expanding anchors are meant to speed up the
installation, but the screws should hit studs wherever possible. The
J-clips that hold the back rail should have either hold down flaps
built into them, or you should install some of them upside down to keep
the shelf held down.

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

floax wrote:
So, I'm planning to spackle and then re-install the wire shelf (with
half as much clothes hanging this time!) My question is will the
spackle be enough to hold if I put the anchors in the same place? Or
will I need to drill new holes for the anchors in different locations?

The spackle will pull right out. You need to find a better place to anchor it
or switch to moly bolts if you can't go into a stud.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Colbyt

"floax" wrote in message
ups.com...
I had been cleaning out my closets this past weekend, and finally got a
lot of boxes on top of our wire shelving that should have never been
put up there. However this morning, I awoke to the sound of one of the
shelving falling down. The anchors in the wall just came out.

I figure the weight from up top was keeping the shelf balanced with the
weight of the clothes hanging. Once the weight on top was removed, the
clothes was just to much.

So, I'm planning to spackle and then re-install the wire shelf (with
half as much clothes hanging this time!) My question is will the
spackle be enough to hold if I put the anchors in the same place? Or
will I need to drill new holes for the anchors in different locations?

NO.

At a minimum the anchors need to be replaced and relocated. Better yet is
to locate the studs and use the shelf clips that have screws. One every 16"
into a stud and fill in the ends with the hollow wall type.

Colbyt

Goedjn

I figure the weight from up top was keeping the shelf balanced with the
weight of the clothes hanging. Once the weight on top was removed, the
clothes was just to much.

Post down to the floor at each end of the closet rod with 1x4s.
That will hold up pretty near anything.

Repairing Lightning Damaged Tv's CJ Electronics Repair 20 June 22nd 04 06:03 AM
Bond all grounds together? Minnie Bannister Home Repair 23 March 16th 04 06:31 PM
automotive wire size calculator CampinGazz Electronics 1 January 5th 04 07:02 PM
240 volt wiring Charles Home Repair 11 December 30th 03 11:13 PM
replacing old non-grounded (2 prong) electric receptacles David Jensen Home Repair 27 August 26th 03 12:14 AM