RichK

Default Carpet cleaning - shampooing machines

Hi All,

Few years ago I was able to rent a small carpet shampoo machine. It looked
like an upright vacuum cleaner, but had a 2-3 brushes and a shampoo
dispenser. It was great for a good scrub of a carpet.

I would then follow up with one of these bigger "flushing" machines, which
get the some dirt out, by flushing the carpet, but are useless for cleaning
it. It was a good combo.

I no longer see these shampooers. Disappeared off the surface of the earth.
Anyone know why these 2-3 brush shampooers are no longer available? Rental
places look at me funny, when I ask for them :-)

I see some machines that Sears (and similar) sell with puny brushes and
flushing, but these are not serious cleaning machines.

Rich

Hound Dog

"RichK" wrote in message
news
[...]

I shampooed my carpets for years, even bought a good carpet shampooer.

When I moved into my new home I decided to have the steam cleaning pros take
care of my rugs.

Best decision I have made in a very long time.

Their work is excellent, my rugs are always clean and the price for the
cleaning is not all that expensive.

The rug cleaners can be here, do the cleaning and be gone in a fraction of
the time I would have needed just to do my living room. They, since they
have much more powerful and proper equipment and don't use harsh cleaners,
do a superior job too.

Do yourself a favor, give them a try.

I bought a Hoover Steam Dual V.. It has green brushes with a hand tool
(no pun intended).. I have used this machine about 10-15 times since I
live in an apartment with a gf and a dog things get messy..

This machine ran about $300 US from HHGreg..

I used the pro's once.. they gave me a $200 clean job (for 800sq ft)..
very nice however I was on their schedule and the cleaning only lasted
about a month..

bottom line.. if you like a DIY job buy a hoover and use it. It will
pay for itself in the second cleaning.. Yes it is plastic.. So mine is
showing age, However I have not had a problem yet.. It
will trip circuits if you have it on a 15amp or less... By the
anti alergic solution.. DO NOT USE THE CHEAP KIND OR "CREATE
YOUR OWN" It will clog the hoover and your out $300 bucks..!!!..

I have noticed that the "rent kind" including "rug doctor" have worn
out brushes unless you get a brand new one.. So it will do a horible
job and possibly ruin your carpet..

If you must use the pros get a few estimates and ask if they move the
furniture for no additional cost..

Joe

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 14:14:51 -0400, "RichK" wrote:

Hi All,

Few years ago I was able to rent a small carpet shampoo machine. It looked
like an upright vacuum cleaner, but had a 2-3 brushes and a shampoo
dispenser. It was great for a good scrub of a carpet.

I would then follow up with one of these bigger "flushing" machines, which
get the some dirt out, by flushing the carpet, but are useless for cleaning
it. It was a good combo.

I no longer see these shampooers. Disappeared off the surface of the earth.
Anyone know why these 2-3 brush shampooers are no longer available? Rental
places look at me funny, when I ask for them :-)

I see some machines that Sears (and similar) sell with puny brushes and
flushing, but these are not serious cleaning machines.

Rich

Stormin Mormon

I got a couple of that kind of thing at auctions, and garage sales. Don't
know if they are avail now days.

When you do laundry, it's a wash cycle, then rinse. Makes sense for carpets,
too. Scrub cycle followed by rinse.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"RichK" wrote in message
news Hi All,

Few years ago I was able to rent a small carpet shampoo machine. It looked
like an upright vacuum cleaner, but had a 2-3 brushes and a shampoo
dispenser. It was great for a good scrub of a carpet.

I would then follow up with one of these bigger "flushing" machines, which
get the some dirt out, by flushing the carpet, but are useless for cleaning
it. It was a good combo.

I no longer see these shampooers. Disappeared off the surface of the earth.
Anyone know why these 2-3 brush shampooers are no longer available? Rental
places look at me funny, when I ask for them :-)

I see some machines that Sears (and similar) sell with puny brushes and
flushing, but these are not serious cleaning machines.

Rich

RichK

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message:

When you do laundry, it's a wash cycle, then rinse. Makes sense for

carpets,
too. Scrub cycle followed by rinse.

My point exactly. For some reason these machines have disappeared.

Rich

Kyle Boatright

"RichK" wrote in message
[...]

Most carpet manufacturers recommend hot water extraction, AKA steam
cleaning. This system doesn't soak your carpet like some others.

You don't want to get carpet truly wet, because that can cause the carpet or
subfloor to mildew. Also, the latex that binds the carpet together loses
strength when it is wet, and if you walk/move furniture/etc on wet carpet,
there is a good chance that the wet latex will fail and your carpet will be
ruined.

Harry Everhart

About 10 years ago - I bought a Carpet Shampooer at Sears for $129. It
is chrome and has two large - about 7 inch - swirling brushes. It
dispenses a shampoo that foams up and surrounds dirt particles making
them easy to vacuum up later when the carpet is dry.

It does an excellent job - I still use it about once a month - and my
neighbors love it and borrow it often.

Very simply - like shampooing your hair - you add shampoo - then lather
it up with the shampooer - let it dry - then vacuum up the dirt.

The carpet looks fresh - clean - fluffy - just like when you shampoo
your hair :-)

I have used it on my two homes - one in PA - and one I just bought in
FL. The Florida one had dogs before me. We used the shampooer to remove
dog odor. We went to a pet shop and bought "special" carpet shampoo for
dogs. It did a great job.

I liked the feeling of having my own shampooer and being able to do
small jobs without wasting time renting a big shampoo system. This one
works - and Sears still sells the machine and shampoo.

Harry
RichK

Thanks Harry,

I liked the feeling of having my own shampooer and being able to do
small jobs without wasting time renting a big shampoo system. This one
works - and Sears still sells the machine and shampoo.

Will give Sears a visit. it may be what I'm looking for. I would not use
it much and was hoping to rent, but don't see it anymore. Perhaps buying,
will make sense long term.

I agree with Kyle, that if you overdo on the liquid, you can mess up the
carpet, but being reasonable with it, should not damage it.

Rich

Harry Everhart

I agree with Kyle, that if you overdo on the liquid, you can mess up the
carpet, but being reasonable with it, should not damage it.

Rich

The dispenser puts out small amounts of liquid. It holds about a gallon
of (10 water to 1) shampoo mix. You can do four rooms easily with one
gallon of the mixture. In the scheme of things - that is not much liquid
- plus the liquid separates and coats the dirt. Mine still works fine
after 10 years of monthly use.

Sears also sells a gallon of shampoo for like $13. One gallon of shampoo
makes about 10 gallons of solution. That will last you about a year of
monthly use. I do not buy the shampoo - my neighbor buys me a new one
every time she uses the shampooer :-)

Good luck one whatever you do. If you were here in FL - I would let you
borrow mine to try.

Harry
Kyle Boatright

"Harry Everhart" wrote in message
[...]

You guys are scaring me. Monthly Shampooing? Frequent cleaning ain't good
for your carpet. The fluorochemicals (sp?) that give most residential
carpet their stain protection (e.g. stainmaster) and the topicals (e.g.
Scotchguard) are both stripped from the fiber during cleaning. The more you
clean, the more protectant you remove, and the more often you need to
clean...

RichK

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in

You guys are scaring me. Monthly Shampooing? Frequent cleaning ain't

good
for your carpet. The fluorochemicals (sp?) that give most residential
carpet their stain protection (e.g. stainmaster) and the topicals (e.g.
Scotchguard) are both stripped from the fiber during cleaning.

Understood. Harry does it monthly, I'm closer to once a year :-) And
traffic areas mainly. Right now, I get down and use a brush with spray
cleaner. If I had a machine, I'd do a larger area and maybe do it twice a
year.

Carpets are great hiding grounds for dirt, pollen etc. Most of that is
extracted by they flushing process, but before I flush, I'll to take care of
the dirt in some places.

Rich

Oscar_Lives

Anyone know about the dry chemical carpet cleaning (Chem-Dry) process? We
have a guy here in town really pushing it over hot water extraction.

"RichK" wrote in message

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in

You guys are scaring me. Monthly Shampooing? Frequent cleaning ain't

good
for your carpet. The fluorochemicals (sp?) that give most residential
carpet their stain protection (e.g. stainmaster) and the topicals (e.g.
Scotchguard) are both stripped from the fiber during cleaning.

Understood. Harry does it monthly, I'm closer to once a year :-) And
traffic areas mainly. Right now, I get down and use a brush with spray
cleaner. If I had a machine, I'd do a larger area and maybe do it twice a
year.

Carpets are great hiding grounds for dirt, pollen etc. Most of that is
extracted by they flushing process, but before I flush, I'll to take care
of
the dirt in some places.

Rich

Kyle Boatright

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message
Anyone know about the dry chemical carpet cleaning (Chem-Dry) process? We
have a guy here in town really pushing it over hot water extraction.

Again, manufacturers recommend hot water extraction. Extensive tests have
been done to confirm that this is the *best* method. I have not dug through
the tests, but I'm sure reading them would be really fun. ;-)

If there is a synopsis, you'd probably find it by googling Carpet and Rug
Institute and Carpet Cleaning.

Trust me on this one. I'm an engineer with the world's largest carpet
manufacturer. The company doesn't manufacture or sell carpet cleaning
equipment, so it doesn't have a dog in the "which method is better" fight,
other than to recommend the method that is going to make the consumer
happiest.

Unhappy carpet customers result in buyers going to hard surfaces when their
carpet wears out, and that's bad for my job...

Bob_M

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 19:55:59 GMT, "Oscar_Lives"
wrote:

Anyone know about the dry chemical carpet cleaning (Chem-Dry) process? We
have a guy here in town really pushing it over hot water extraction.

"RichK" wrote in message

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in

You guys are scaring me. Monthly Shampooing? Frequent cleaning ain't

good
for your carpet. The fluorochemicals (sp?) that give most residential
carpet their stain protection (e.g. stainmaster) and the topicals (e.g.
Scotchguard) are both stripped from the fiber during cleaning.

Understood. Harry does it monthly, I'm closer to once a year :-) And
traffic areas mainly. Right now, I get down and use a brush with spray
cleaner. If I had a machine, I'd do a larger area and maybe do it twice a
year.

Carpets are great hiding grounds for dirt, pollen etc. Most of that is
extracted by they flushing process, but before I flush, I'll to take care
of
the dirt in some places.

Rich

FYI -

at someone's recommendation a year ago my wife and I elected to have
our carpets cleaned via the Chem-Dry method. Result was not as good
as prior cleanings with more traditional methods.

Next time we plan on trying a commercial "steam" extraction
contractor.

Bob
RichK

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

[...]

We got something like that. I have a wife and a son. Needs about
monthly cleaning, couches too.

I recently had to buy several parts for it. this plastic contraption is
not really that durable. I actually need a few more. Its not soundly
built. None of this hoover junk is. But it is easily repairable, and
that works for me at least.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert