Jeff

Default tapered or flat washer

I replaced the washers and seats in the standard hot and cold shower handles
in a thirty year old house. I used 3/8" flat washers I already had. I also
had some tapered washers. Does anyone know which to use in this situation?
The old washers were so badly torn up they might have been either.

Thanks

No

If you used the flat, did they work? The tapered are sometimes substituted
when you have a chewed up seat, not your case since you also replaced the
seats. IIRC some seats may require a tapered too. Not too sure about that
one. Go with what works.

"Jeff" wrote in message
I replaced the washers and seats in the standard hot and cold shower
handles in a thirty year old house. I used 3/8" flat washers I already
had. I also had some tapered washers. Does anyone know which to use in
this situation? The old washers were so badly torn up they might have been
either.

Thanks

Colbyt

"Jeff" wrote in message
I replaced the washers and seats in the standard hot and cold shower

handles
in a thirty year old house. I used 3/8" flat washers I already had. I

also
had some tapered washers. Does anyone know which to use in this

situation?
The old washers were so badly torn up they might have been either.

Thanks

According to the owner of a local supply shop, all washered faucets leave
the factory with flat washers. Most plumbers replace bad washers with flat.

Colbyt

Ashton Crusher

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 14:35:39 GMT, "Jeff" wrote:

I replaced the washers and seats in the standard hot and cold shower handles
in a thirty year old house. I used 3/8" flat washers I already had. I also
had some tapered washers. Does anyone know which to use in this situation?
The old washers were so badly torn up they might have been either.

Thanks

Either will work but I've always found tapered to last longer and to
have a better "feel". They seem to be more forgiving of any
imperfections.