Les and Gina

Default Update on pantry moth problem

After 3 months of searching, baiting, and trapping, I think I found the
source of these little buggers. I was disconnecting the gas line from the
fireplace log set and noticed that a couple moths were in the fire box. I
figured a couple found their way around the screen. Anyway, I turned off the
gas for the pilot, and spread the lava gravel around to make it look a
little neater. 20 minutes later there are about a dozen moths in the
fireplace, behind the screen. I put a pest trap in there, and in less than
30 minutes, it was loaded with moths. Could these moths be in the lava
gravel? I thought they would only nest near a food source.

I removed the log set and scooped out all the lava gravel onto cookie
sheets, I am now "roasting" the lava gravel in the gas grill (500f for 20
minutes). I also sealed up all the little gaps in the firebox to seal in
any eggs/larva and vacuumed out all the dust and debris (and tossed the
vacuum bag into a garbage bag and tossed it out).

I was amazed to see that the moths were in the fireplace. I thought the
heat would have killed them. Anyway, I think I found the source (fingers
crossed). Has anyone heard of these moths nesting so far from a food
source? And being able to survive in a fireplace that gets a lot of usage?
They must be tough SOB'S!

Les

Dan_Musicant

:
: I removed the log set and scooped out all the lava gravel onto cookie
:sheets, I am now "roasting" the lava gravel in the gas grill (500f for 20
:minutes). I also sealed up all the little gaps in the firebox to seal in
:any eggs/larva and vacuumed out all the dust and debris (and tossed the
:vacuum bag into a garbage bag and tossed it out).
:
:I was amazed to see that the moths were in the fireplace. I thought the
:heat would have killed them. Anyway, I think I found the source (fingers
:crossed). Has anyone heard of these moths nesting so far from a food
:source? And being able to survive in a fireplace that gets a lot of usage?
:They must be tough SOB'S!
:
:Les

Interesting. I get little fluttering moths every year and just about
this time they are a real problem. If it weren't for the fact that
there's also a mosquito problem, maybe it wouldn't bother me as much,
but I hate those pesky little moths. It's troublesome to try to
annihilate them. I think they are breeding and the larva are growing in
the house somewhere, but I don't have a clue where. I used to think they
were getting into foodstuffs. I used to notice larva in plastic bags of
food items, but haven't noticed that problem in recent times. I no
longer keep such things in plastic bags, but in bottles instead.

I have to think there's something in your fireplace that those moths'
larva are eating.

Stormin Mormon

I call them "flittermoths" which isn't the correct name. Sounds like indian
meal worms.

My solution was to log onto www.gardensalive.com and buy pantry pest traps.
Use them as directed, and no more moths.

From what I could tell, they arrived with catfood, and infested a LOT of
food. I had to throw out a lot of grains, cereals, breakfast cereal, corn
meal, flour, etc.

If I didn't swat or "clap" them in the moth stage, I'd get inch long worms
crawling across the ceiling. Made for some expensive cat food.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

Interesting. I get little fluttering moths every year and just about
this time they are a real problem. If it weren't for the fact that
there's also a mosquito problem, maybe it wouldn't bother me as much,
but I hate those pesky little moths. It's troublesome to try to
annihilate them. I think they are breeding and the larva are growing in
the house somewhere, but I don't have a clue where. I used to think they
were getting into foodstuffs. I used to notice larva in plastic bags of
food items, but haven't noticed that problem in recent times. I no
longer keep such things in plastic bags, but in bottles instead.

I have to think there's something in your fireplace that those moths'
larva are eating.

Stormin Mormon

http://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn=8878
http://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn=8909

I found both of these highly effective.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Les and Gina" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

G Henslee

Stormin Mormon wrote:
http://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn=8878
http://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn=8909

I found both of these highly effective.

Various types of moth traps are also available at the bigbox stores,
OSH, Ace etc.

--
Learn the Truth about Mormonism
http://www.eaec.org/cults/mormons.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Dan_Musicant, Wren wrote:
Ours are coming from the chimney! We have ZERO months in the winter months
when we have a lot of fires. Come June were using moth traps.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...em-658122-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Wren, Randy allen wrote:
I think mine coming from chimney to. Not sure what to do

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...em-658122-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 4, 2019 at 8:14:05 AM UTC-4, Randy allen wrote:
replying to Wren, Randy allen wrote:
I think mine coming from chimney to. Not sure what to do

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...em-658122-.htm

Pantry moth traps are available, I think Home Depot has them. It's a triangle shaped cardboard thing with sticky inside and an attractant.