Bob

Default Test to determine paint type(latex or oil base)

As I recall there was a rather simple way of determining whether paint on a
wood surface is latex or oil base. Of course, what I do not recall is what
the simple way was!

Would appreciate that information. Thank you very much!

Bob

G Henslee

Bob wrote:
As I recall there was a rather simple way of determining whether paint on a
wood surface is latex or oil base. Of course, what I do not recall is what
the simple way was!

Would appreciate that information. Thank you very much!

Bob

Take a cotton ball and wet it with acetone (found in most nail polish
removers). On an inconspicuous area, rub the cotton ball in a circular
motion on the surface. If the surface remains unchanged, it is an
oil-based paint. If the surface turns gooey, it is a latex paint.
Hopkins

Denatured alcohol on a rag -- if it starts stripping the paint, the
paint is latex.

one catch -- if it's exterior oil it may be chalky. Don't confuse
removing the chalking with stripping the paint. If you're unsure, do it
again on the same spot of paint, with a clean spot on the rag.

1200 degree High heat spray paint stinks, literally Dan Musicant Metalworking 11 August 21st 20 01:03 PM
Camp Painting help Needed ! TURTLE Home Repair 14 February 19th 05 10:17 PM
Quickie review of General International "Universal Mobile Base" (50-025) Clint Woodworking 0 January 29th 05 06:37 PM
test for Jimbo dale Metalworking 3 November 13th 03 05:52 PM
Possible Condensation Solution? - Test Data Tom Watson Woodworking 4 November 7th 03 08:51 PM