Frank Thompson

Default grease gun question

Any easy way to alleviate having to open up hand operated grease gun
once or twice per using up one cartridge of grease in order to remove
air which causes gun to pump like it is empty when it is not empty?
Tater Salad

most guns have an air bleed hole. you unscreww te cartridge a turn and
pump till it starts working then retighten. tader

Backlash

If yours has the grip on the end that you have to pull back against a spring
to load it, then several in and out plunges to stir up the grease around the
suction port will usually do the trick.

RJ

"Frank Thompson" wrote in message
Any easy way to alleviate having to open up hand operated grease gun
once or twice per using up one cartridge of grease in order to remove
air which causes gun to pump like it is empty when it is not empty?

Stormin Mormon

I put a metal ring around the plunger shaft, and hang the grease gun with
the nozzle down when not in use.

I'm not sure it makes any difference, but I'm hoping that the grease will
settle towards the pump assenbly at the tip. Which (when not in use) is the
pump assembly at the bottom of the tube.

Seems to work for me.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Frank Thompson" wrote in message
Any easy way to alleviate having to open up hand operated grease gun
once or twice per using up one cartridge of grease in order to remove
air which causes gun to pump like it is empty when it is not empty?

George E. Cawthon

Frank Thompson wrote:
Any easy way to alleviate having to open up hand operated grease gun
once or twice per using up one cartridge of grease in order to remove
air which causes gun to pump like it is empty when it is not empty?

Don't know what kind of grease gun you have, but
it is either no good or you are doing something
wrong. Most guns have a plunger at the rear that
puts pressure on the grease to move forward. When
change the cartridge, you pull the plunger out
(and lock it in a slot), you put the cartridge in,
screw the top on, and release the plunger and
push it in. The built in spring continues to push
the grease forward. Perhaps the spring is broken
or missing. The only purpose of the pump is to
build pressure in the tube/hose before the
coupling. If you can unscrew the top without
loosing all the grease on the ground, then the
plunger is not working.

Harry K

George E. Cawthon wrote:
Frank Thompson wrote:
Any easy way to alleviate having to open up hand operated grease gun
once or twice per using up one cartridge of grease in order to remove
air which causes gun to pump like it is empty when it is not empty?

Don't know what kind of grease gun you have, but
it is either no good or you are doing something
wrong. Most guns have a plunger at the rear that
puts pressure on the grease to move forward. When
change the cartridge, you pull the plunger out
(and lock it in a slot), you put the cartridge in,
screw the top on, and release the plunger and
push it in. The built in spring continues to push
the grease forward. Perhaps the spring is broken
or missing. The only purpose of the pump is to
build pressure in the tube/hose before the
coupling. If you can unscrew the top without
loosing all the grease on the ground, then the
plunger is not working.

No, there is nothing wrong with the gun or how he is operating it. It
is a common problem with every gun I have had over the past 50 years.
Pumping the plunger does help but doesn't cure it.

Harry K

Duane Bozarth

Harry K wrote:

George E. Cawthon wrote:
Frank Thompson wrote:
[...]

Yep, there are almost always a few air voids in a cartridge...
George E. Cawthon

Harry K wrote:

George E. Cawthon wrote:

Frank Thompson wrote:

[...]

Maybe you are doing the same thing he does? I've
never had that problem, either filling a gun with
bulk grease or using a cartridge. If there are no
air voids when filled, then voids can't develop.
George E. Cawthon

Duane Bozarth wrote:
Harry K wrote:

George E. Cawthon wrote:

Frank Thompson wrote:

[...]

Not in my experience, besides, the pressure on the
grease would make any air move into the hose/tube.

Don't know what he means by pumping the plunger,
but if he means the plunger at the rear end of the
gun (not the handle used to squirt the grease),
that would just stir ups the grease a little. You
can't air lock a gun if the spring mechanism that
pushes the grease forward is working correctly.
Well, maybe you can air lock it if you really try
or it is a **** poor excuse for a grease gun.

I'm not a professional grease monkey but took care
of all my vehicles. Pulling the plunger back to
compress the spring took a lot of muscles on every
grease guns I used. I still vote for a wimpy spring.
nanook

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 11:21:25 -0500, Duane Bozarth
wrote:

Harry K wrote:

George E. Cawthon wrote:
Frank Thompson wrote:
[...]

i'm not for sure if this has been suggested yet, but my grease gun has
a slotted cap at the top near the handle that i take off when i get
air. i just crack it open until grease starts to come out. if i take
it all the way off, i get a mess.

i've also worked with some guns that have a spring loaded ball bearing
in place of the cap. this way you just push on it until the air comes
out.

hope this helps.

Duane Bozarth

"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

Duane Bozarth wrote:
Harry K wrote:

George E. Cawthon wrote:

Frank Thompson wrote:

[...]

Well, guess your supplier does better, maybe...

I'm not a professional grease monkey but took care
of all my vehicles. Pulling the plunger back to
compress the spring took a lot of muscles on every
grease guns I used. I still vote for a wimpy spring.

If it's all air, no grease forever, that's different...an occasional
"whiff" on a stroke or two or three has been my experience since was
first big enough to help w/ lube work on the farm. Then we loaded guns
from bulk drum. No real difference now w/ cartridges except slight
convenience that I can tell...
Frank Thompson

Like Harry, it has been my experience for over 50 years. Have 3
different brand guns now...same prob in all three. Two of them do have
a screw (plug) at the top (end where grease exit tuibe is) the
function of which I have no clue.

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 00:23:36 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:

Duane Bozarth wrote: