Puddin' Man

Default Bathroom spigot screechs

Bathroom spigot screechs

'allo,

I belong to little brick bungalow in midwest, built in 1954.
Bathroom is unimproved but well maintained.

Lavatory spigots. When I turn the cold on or off, it
screechs noisily. Tiny little screech when I turn hot
on, none when it's turned off.

Washers were replaced 1-2 years ago.

What makes it screech? How to fix?

TIA,
Puddin'

*** Puddin' Man PuddingDotMan at GmailDotCom ***
************************************************** ****;
Speedy Jim

Puddin' Man wrote:
Bathroom spigot screechs

'allo,

I belong to little brick bungalow in midwest, built in 1954.
Bathroom is unimproved but well maintained.

Lavatory spigots. When I turn the cold on or off, it
screechs noisily. Tiny little screech when I turn hot
on, none when it's turned off.

Washers were replaced 1-2 years ago.

What makes it screech? How to fix?

Old spigots had metal-to-metal threads on the stems.
Take the stems out and lube with Plumber's grease
or silicone grease.

Jim

dicko

Are you sure its the faucet thats screeching? Ask This Old House had a
homeowner on the show who was complaining of a screeching faucet and
it turned out to be the toilet filler valve. So the toilet was
screeching and not the faucet but it screeched only when you turned
the faucet on. It had to do with the pressure drop in the pipes when
the water turned on that allowed the toilet to screech. Replacing the
toilet float valve fixed the problem.

BTW, the home owner thought it was the faucet too. Evidently you
couldnt tell where the sound was coming from.

dickm

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 19:31:42 GMT, (Puddin' Man)
wrote:

Bathroom spigot screechs

'allo,

I belong to little brick bungalow in midwest, built in 1954.
Bathroom is unimproved but well maintained.

Lavatory spigots. When I turn the cold on or off, it
screechs noisily. Tiny little screech when I turn hot
on, none when it's turned off.

Washers were replaced 1-2 years ago.

What makes it screech? How to fix?

TIA,
Puddin'

*** Puddin' Man PuddingDotMan at GmailDotCom ***

Diverter valve replacement - spigot removal? Texas Yankee Home Repair 2 April 24th 05 12:01 AM
Bathroom fans improperly vented jeff Home Repair 11 June 4th 04 05:30 PM
Bathroom Mirror. Terry Home Repair 2 May 2nd 04 10:42 PM
Wood Floor in Bathroom Rob Gray Home Repair 5 February 23rd 04 04:28 AM
Ventilation Problem in Bathroom Paula Home Ownership 5 October 11th 03 08:29 AM