Default lawn sprinkler, pressure problem

If just one sprinkler head among several in a single zone has low pressure,
and I already replaced the popup assembly for good measure, do I have to
start digging to find the problem? Thx.

Tony Hwang

B wrote:
If just one sprinkler head among several in a single zone has low pressure,
and I already replaced the popup assembly for good measure, do I have to
start digging to find the problem? Thx.

Hi,
If you have a compressor, how about blowing out the lines in that zone?
Kink in the pipe?
Tony
BobK207

Did you replace the entire sprinkler; body & spray nozzle?

If so, remove the sprinkler head & attach a short piece of hose / tube
to the riser to check the flow.

I finally replaced a suspect head after seeing a minor leak for a
couple years. The sprinkler body had a crack in it that was "jetting"
an underground cavern. The line to the head had accumulated some fines
as well.

I blew it all out with the water pressure.& the worked fine with the
new head.

cheers
Bob

accumulated some "fines"? Hmm.

I'm not sure if this is your suggestion, but you gave me the idea to attach
a hose to the riser, shunt the water from the riser away, and see if
additional water still percolates up from a leak that would be sapping the
pressure. OK then.

-B

"BobK207" wrote in message
oups.com...
Did you replace the entire sprinkler; body & spray nozzle?

If so, remove the sprinkler head & attach a short piece of hose / tube
to the riser to check the flow.

I finally replaced a suspect head after seeing a minor leak for a
couple years. The sprinkler body had a crack in it that was "jetting"
an underground cavern. The line to the head had accumulated some fines
as well.

I blew it all out with the water pressure.& the worked fine with the
new head.

cheers
Bob

meirman

In alt.home.repair on Tue, 31 May 2005 02:29:33 GMT "B"
posted:

If just one sprinkler head among several in a single zone has low pressure,
and I already replaced the popup assembly for good measure, do I have to
start digging to find the problem? Thx.

I have no experience in this, but before you start digging, can't you
take out the whole head, turn on the water, and see if the water
spurts up? Depending on the diameter of the hole I would think it
would go up between 4 inches and 6 feet.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.