dean

Default Who makes the BEST trimmer?

Honda, Husqy, or Stihl?

Because I hate my Craftsman shaky POS.

Vic Dura

On 24 May 2005 19:51:01 -0700, in alt.home.repair Who makes the
BEST trimmer? "dean" wrote:

Honda, Husqy, or Stihl?

Because I hate my Craftsman shaky POS.

By "trimmer" if you mean a weed cutter, then Stihl.

Joseph Meehan

dean wrote:
Honda, Husqy, or Stihl?

Because I hate my Craftsman shaky POS.

In part you need to define best. Your needs may be far different than
mine. For me my B&D battery job is great. If I had a very large yard and
lots of trimming to do, it would not be so good.

I suggest you take a look at your local library and find the most recent
issue of Consumer Reports that has a review if them and read the the whole
article. Don't just read the ratings as they can be misleading.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

No

Differing needs aside. The 'best' in terms of quality build will last a long
time when used every day, all day.

Husqvarna, Stihl

Also look at RedMax
http://www.redmax.com/productcart/pc...p?idCategory=3
Some have 2 year commercial warranty.

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
Honda, Husqy, or Stihl?

Because I hate my Craftsman shaky POS.

dean

By 'best' I meant a commercial machine which is smoothest, quietest,
and ergonometrically easy to hold. I feel that I am always straining
and exhausting myself with the craftsman.

Dean

No

That could also mean light weight. I don't think any I mentioned would be
light weight. My father has a RedMax. It very powerful and will cut anything
w/o effort. Its easy to start. I'm not sure how it rates in quietness. Most
pro models have a harness to help hold the unit because they are heavier.

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
By 'best' I meant a commercial machine which is smoothest, quietest,
and ergonometrically easy to hold. I feel that I am always straining
and exhausting myself with the craftsman.

Dean

borgunit

I have only tried Craftsman then to Ryiobi and then to Husqvarna. They
are each a step to a better trimmer. I can say that the Husqvarna is a
workhorse. As I get older (wiser too...maybe I hope) I get tired of
using marginal equipment. The old saying is usually true, "you get
what you pay for". I have not tried Stihl but I would imagine that
they are excellent also. I got the Husqy since Lowes carried them and
I had a place to go for any problems. Well, some years later and still
no problems. I can recommend getting the heavy trimmer string to use.
It does save time not having to restring the head so often from
breaking string. Happy buying.

Tony Hwang

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...

Honda, Husqy, or Stihl?

Because I hate my Craftsman shaky POS.

Hi,
Add to those, Echo.
Tony
Chris Lewis

According to dean :
Honda, Husqy, or Stihl?

I have the Stihl FS85 (light commercial duty straight shaft -
very popular with landscapers etc) with "bicycle handles".
During the summer, it gets several hours of workout every two
weeks, and the metal blade gets used often.

Fantastic machine. About 7 years old, starts first time
every time, even after the winter. Has never needed
servicing (well, the spark arrester started plugging up causing
stalls, and the Stihl dealer just pulled it out for free).

The homelite it replaced was crap.

I've also used a FS85 tree trimmer (small chain saw on the
end of the pole). Nice piece of equipment.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
zxcvbob

dean wrote:
By 'best' I meant a commercial machine which is smoothest, quietest,
and ergonometrically easy to hold. I feel that I am always straining
and exhausting myself with the craftsman.

Dean

Look at a small-to-midsized Echo with a straight shaft. I bought their
SRM-2200 about 17 or 18 years ago and it's still going strong. An
SRM-2500 is what I really wanted because it was the same size but had
more power -- but it also cost a lot more at the time. Now, the
equivalent models cost a lot less than they were back then.

Bob

Love them echo weed wackers! Cheap residental ones are
around 200 bucks (straight shaft)

I've had mine for a few years now and it run great!

More commercial ones are just a bit more money.
Make sure to visit a good local shop and give it a test
fit.

I figure that if the local landscapers use them, they would do
me just fine for the years to come.

Tom

dean

Well, I bought the Honda 25S. It starts well, its 1/2 the noise of the
stihl, and it cuts beautifully! Thanks all for the help. This one has a
4-cycle engine.

Dean