Jim

Default Parging of retaining wall

Hello,

I have just had a contractor replace a wooden 2 ft high retaining wall
with a cement one...It runs over 180 ft in total length in different
directions. ..please see photo of a portion of the wall here...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pipeli...ac.jpg&.src=ph

The contractor is going to bring everything back to grade ..landscape
etc... I am looking for any advice as to parging a wall of this type....any
hints or anybody ever do there own parging?....did google...but found folks
just wanting to push their products....thanks for any constructive advice on
this....

Jim

Robert Allison

Jim wrote:
Hello,

I have just had a contractor replace a wooden 2 ft high retaining wall
with a cement one...It runs over 180 ft in total length in different
directions. ..please see photo of a portion of the wall here...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pipeli...ac.jpg&.src=ph

The contractor is going to bring everything back to grade ..landscape
etc... I am looking for any advice as to parging a wall of this type....any
hints or anybody ever do there own parging?....did google...but found folks
just wanting to push their products....thanks for any constructive advice on
this....

Jim

Here is a pretty good explanation of the process:

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/leonard57.html

Although it is for cinder block walls, concrete is not much
different. If we are doing smaller areas, we will use sand
mix with an extra scoop of portland. If you want to invest
the money, you can make it extra strong by using a latex
additive instead of, or in addition to, the water, or by
wetting the wall with the additive just prior to parging.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

I find a lot of contractors in the Charleston SC area using additives
to reduce cracking.
TB

Kathy

"Jim" wrote in message
Hello,

I have just had a contractor replace a wooden

2 ft high retaining wall
with a cement one...It runs over 180 ft in total

length in different
directions. ..please see photo of a portion of

the wall here...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pipelinor1/detail?.di
r=/8d9d&.dnm=7cac.jpg&.src=ph

WoW! Just what is that wall retaining? The road
from coming into your yard?

Goedjn

WoW! Just what is that wall retaining? The road
from coming into your yard?

That looked odd to me, too, since the ground level
on each side looks about the same. It will stop drunks
from driving on the lawn, though. Anyway,
my question is: Why parge it at all? You do that
to a basement block or rubble wall to reduce water
intrusion. That thing, I'd tar the part that's below
ground, wait a year, and then paint it.

DanG

I think you are asking about rubbing out the wall to remove bee
holes and imperfections. Parging is a bit different. An offset
grinder with a carborundum or diamond disk will make short work of
form lines and any lumps caused by knot holes, etc. Now you have
to choose which finish material and texture you want.

You can get a pleasant effect by using Thoroseal in a drywall
texture gun. It will leave a splatter texture that is
quite rugged and should disguise any imperfections in the form
lines, etc. It comes as white, but can be tinted or painted.

You can use the finish coat of an EIFS system. I would apply with
a fiberglass trowel. This material is available in many colors.
Stop and watch the fellas applying it somewhere in your area.
They may even give you some tips and advice.

You can apply bond agent to your wall and apply neat grout (equal
fine sand and portland) with a hand rubbing stone. This one is
the traditional finish but is extremely labor intensive.

Hope something here helps.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Jim" wrote in message
Hello,

I have just had a contractor replace a wooden 2 ft high
retaining wall
with a cement one...It runs over 180 ft in total length in
different
directions. ..please see photo of a portion of the wall here...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pipeli...ac.jpg&.src=ph

The contractor is going to bring everything back to grade
..landscape
etc... I am looking for any advice as to parging a wall of this
type....any
hints or anybody ever do there own parging?....did google...but
found folks
just wanting to push their products....thanks for any
constructive advice on
this....

Jim

ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy

Seems you need only to 'sack rub' the wall. Use a burlap sack and a mix of
3 parts sand to 1 part masonry cement rubbed into voids in circular pattern.
This app has zilch to do with EIFC and it should not be considered.

--

Remove the obvious to reply. Experienced and reliable
Concrete Finishing and Synthetic Stucco application in the GTA.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pipeli...m=7cac.jpg&.sr
c=ph

The contractor is going to bring everything back to grade
..landscape
etc... I am looking for any advice as to parging a wall of this
type....any
hints or anybody ever do there own parging?....did google...but
found folks
just wanting to push their products....thanks for any
constructive advice on
this....

Jim

Concete coring - weep holes in retaining wall [email protected] Home Repair 5 January 17th 05 11:01 AM
Waterproofing a retaining wall [email protected] Home Repair 5 January 11th 05 09:57 PM
HELP: vertical foundation crack in new construction Zhixin Tang Home Repair 46 October 26th 03 01:53 PM
Wall falling down? Alex UK diy 8 August 29th 03 10:54 AM
Retaining Wall in front of another Retaining Wall MCL Home Repair 0 July 11th 03 03:48 PM