Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com

Default Help! Freezer is not working!

I have a Frigidaire upright freezer, about 2 years old.
Model ffu20fc4aw2.

I just went to get something out of it, and noticed that everything on
the bottom 2 shelves is completely thawed/melted.

The upper shelves are frozen, and the "vents" on the top shelf are
cranking out freezing air. The freezer is running.

However, before, whenever I would close the door, a motor would kick
on and suck air out (or whatever it did) and the door couldn't be
opened during those few seconds.

That's not happening now.

And the weird thing is, I cannot find a door switch anywhere on this
thing!

So it's possible that the kids left the freezer open a bit, and I just
found it, and maybe in a few hours it will be okay.

But I don't know why that fan isn't turning on when I close the door.

Any replies are very appreciated...I don't want any more ruined food.
udarrell

I retired over ten years before that freezer was manufactured, so am not
familiar with it.

"Find the owner's manual and see what it says about the defrost circuit."

Sounds like you have an evaporator fan that may be blocked from running by
ice.
It could be one of those computerized defrost modules, mine on my Frigidaire
refrigerator lasted just over 2 years and went dead. I replaced it.
Designed to fail just after the warranty expires, ha! All I had was an ohm
meter and the owners manual, but I pin pointed the bad component.

Defrost heater element could be burnt out.
Defrost drain could be plugged, or need a heater.
Evaporator fan could have gone bad, etc.

:Later I found the Frigidaire web site with schematic diagrams of
components. Do a search.
Call a Service contractor that services a lot of makes including
Frigidaires.
--
Air-Conditioning Efficiency - "Optimizing evaporator Coil 'Heat-Load Btu/hr
first,' is critical"

http://www.udarrell.com/air-conditio...ator-coil.html .

wrote in message
[...]

Thanks...I'll see what I can find today, since it's Sunday and no
local repair places are open.
JimL

On Sat, 21 May 2005 22:00:06 GMT,
" wrote:

[...]

That fan is not on because it has probably iced up. You need to
find that fan and find out why it is not running. That involves
removing a few screws so you can see it.

Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com

Whew....the freezer is working. It seems that my wife stuffed the top
shelf full, and that's where the cold air comes out.

The food on bottom 2 shelves was ruined, since we have no idea how
long it was thawed.

But once I distributed the food around the freezer so that air could
circulate, everything was okay, and the fan once again runs when the
door is first closed.