David Sussman

Default ** GE built-in refrigerator not working / tries to start and immediately stops full quite in 1 sec or so **

1.) I have a GE refrigerator from about 1989. This is a "built-in
refrigerator" which is about 84" high by 42"wide by approx 24-26"
deep. It has always been working fine. GE model: BISW42EKB has
compressor on top of fridge.

2.) After Hurricane Francis my power came back on and I came back to
my house to find my refrigerator and freezer completely warm/hot.
When I opened the door I would hear the fridge try and startup with
the fan but immediately then stops (in about 1 sec or so) and does not
try again until a bit later (complete silence after the failed
startup). The light comes on though on both sides (fridge and
freezer). I am thinking that it may be the compressor starter which
may have gotten hurt or the compressor itself (could it be much
else?). Anyone have a good guess what the problem here might be and
what parts I might need to purchase to replace them (hopefully in
order of best possible solutions)

3.) Do you think the parts need to be authentic "GE parts" or can
Universal 3rd party parts work fine?

4.) SECOND problem which has been existing now is that the ice
dispensor (inside the freezer door) seems to be icing up. This has
prevented the pullies and wires from being able to operate the ice
dispensor properly. This has now prevented water from comming out of
the water dispensor. I have tried to fix this once before but at this
point I am wondering if I could somehow replace enough or all of this
dispensor so that it definately fixes this problem. What parts would
one advise for this?

Thanks,

-David
JaKe

David Sussman wrote:

[...]

Sounds like you need a need relay/switch for the compressor motor.
I replaced mine on my Kenmore for around $15.

--
JaKe, Seattle
"If you can read this thank a teacher.
Stormin Mormon

At this point, I'm not sure what is trying to start. Is the compressor
trying to start, or one of the two fans? is the compressor warm?

The two things that come to mind to me are bad start relay on the
compressor, and less likely would be bad defrost timer.

Universal parts work nicely. GE tends to be "Generally Expensive".

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"David Sussman" wrote in message
om...
[...]

HRL

If his ice maker is "icing up" the compressor must be running. Just wonder
if somehow there is ice preventing flow of air in the freezer. Cure for
that would be to turn it off for a few hours and dry out the interior.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
[...]

jeff

(David Sussman) wrote in message . com...

Hi,

2.) After Hurricane Francis my power came back on and I came back to
my house to find my refrigerator and freezer completely warm/hot.
When I opened the door I would hear the fridge try and startup with
the fan but immediately then stops (in about 1 sec or so) and does not
try again until a bit later (complete silence after the failed
startup). The light comes on though on both sides (fridge and
freezer). I am thinking that it may be the compressor starter which
may have gotten hurt or the compressor itself (could it be much
else?). Anyone have a good guess what the problem here might be and
what parts I might need to purchase to replace them (hopefully in
order of best possible solutions)

Start relay/overload or the compressor may have been damaged from low
voltage or a voltage stike and the compressor cannot start.
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=289926
Relay ptcr

3.) Do you think the parts need to be authentic "GE parts" or can
Universal 3rd party parts work fine?

Depends on the part, some after market parts work very well.
http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink...kBf+hs410.html
-Some- parts can only be gotten from the manufcature.

4.) SECOND problem which has been existing now is that the ice
dispensor (inside the freezer door) seems to be icing up. This has
prevented the pullies and wires from being able to operate the ice
dispensor properly. This has now prevented water from comming out of
the water dispensor. I have tried to fix this once before but at this
point I am wondering if I could somehow replace enough or all of this
dispensor so that it definately fixes this problem. What parts would
one advise for this?

Possible the insulation is soaked/saturated around the dispensor area
and should be changed, need to make sure no room air is leaking in to
help create the build ups.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/