Piotr G. Kosinski

Default Problem with measuring distance

Hi!

I have a problem with measuring distance: I need a tool which is able to
accurately measure distances up to 1 meter, preferably some kind of
laser rangefinder. I cannot use a tape measure because there is limited
access to the place I want to measure. Do you know what type of tool
should I use?

With regards,
Peter.

a steel ruler comes to mind
Edwin Pawlowski

"Piotr G. Kosinski" wrote in message
Hi!

I have a problem with measuring distance: I need a tool which is able to
accurately measure distances up to 1 meter, preferably some kind of laser
rangefinder. I cannot use a tape measure because there is limited access
to the place I want to measure. Do you know what type of tool should I
use?

One meter? As in about 39 inches? I'd use a yard stick or metal scale that
would go into the hole or whatever the laser light would follow. Mark a
stick and then measure the stick.

badgolferman

Piotr G. Kosinski, 5/21/2005, 11:43:51 AM, wrote:

Hi!

I have a problem with measuring distance: I need a tool which is able
to accurately measure distances up to 1 meter, preferably some kind
of laser rangefinder. I cannot use a tape measure because there is
limited access to the place I want to measure. Do you know what type
of tool should I use?

With regards,
Peter.

If you can put a laser range finder in the area you want to measure
then you can put tape measure in there also. Make a mark on the
surface where the tape measure is sitting and measure from there to one
side of the enclosure. Turn the tape measure around and measure from
there to the other side of the enclosure. That should get you pretty
close to what you are looking for.

--
No matter what happens someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
Jeff Wisnia

badgolferman wrote:
Piotr G. Kosinski, 5/21/2005, 11:43:51 AM, wrote:

Hi!

I have a problem with measuring distance: I need a tool which is able
to accurately measure distances up to 1 meter, preferably some kind
of laser rangefinder. I cannot use a tape measure because there is
limited access to the place I want to measure. Do you know what type
of tool should I use?

With regards,
Peter.

If you can put a laser range finder in the area you want to measure
then you can put tape measure in there also.

Maybe not.

Perhaps he's trying to measure through the glass wall of a terrarium
full of pit vipers. That's\d sure qualify as a place with "limited
access" for me. G

Dontcha' luvit it when OP's don't give a more detailed explanation of
what it is they are working on...

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

HeyBub

Piotr G. Kosinski wrote:
Hi!

I have a problem with measuring distance: I need a tool which is able
to accurately measure distances up to 1 meter, preferably some kind
of laser rangefinder. I cannot use a tape measure because there is
limited access to the place I want to measure. Do you know what type
of tool should I use?

NASA has a laser they use to bounce light off a mirror left on the moon.
They can measure the moon's distance to the quarter-inch.

I don't think it's portable, though.

For your project, you'll need a couple of things:

First, your "destination" has to be able to reflect the laser light.

Next, you need a device to measure the interval from the time the laser
fires until the reflected light appears at your detector. Knowing the speed
of light in air, do the math and divide by two.

Ashton Crusher

On Sat, 21 May 2005 18:11:29 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Piotr G. Kosinski wrote:
Hi!

I have a problem with measuring distance: I need a tool which is able
to accurately measure distances up to 1 meter, preferably some kind
of laser rangefinder. I cannot use a tape measure because there is
limited access to the place I want to measure. Do you know what type
of tool should I use?

NASA has a laser they use to bounce light off a mirror left on the moon.
They can measure the moon's distance to the quarter-inch.

I don't think it's portable, though.

For your project, you'll need a couple of things:

First, your "destination" has to be able to reflect the laser light.

Next, you need a device to measure the interval from the time the laser
fires until the reflected light appears at your detector. Knowing the speed
of light in air, do the math and divide by two.

You can buy laser based distance measuring gizmo's of handheld size
that will measure very accurately for at least a hundred feet (and
less of course). We bought some at work for about $400 each.
Bill

Piotr G. Kosinski wrote:
Hi!

I have a problem with measuring distance: I need a tool which is able to
accurately measure distances up to 1 meter, preferably some kind of
laser rangefinder. I cannot use a tape measure because there is limited
access to the place I want to measure. Do you know what type of tool
should I use?

With regards,
Peter.

Try a carpenters folding ruler. They will fold so that
you can get them into the space. The good ones have a 6
inch slide in one end so you can slide it out and get
the amount to add to the folded part. They were
designed for interior measurements.

Bill Gill