BoborAnn

Default Point Gap for older B&S engine

I have a 130200 5 HP Briggs & Stratton Engine made about 1977 on a
rototiller and I'm changing the points and condenser.
I've searched everywhere and cannot find the spec for the Gap
Can somebody help
Thanks
Bob

red

BoborAnn wrote:

I have a 130200 5 HP Briggs & Stratton Engine made about 1977 on a
rototiller and I'm changing the points and condenser.
I've searched everywhere and cannot find the spec for the Gap
Can somebody help
Thanks
Bob

20 to 25 mm works with most small engines I have used
Dan

On Fri, 20 May 2005 21:35:43 -0400, "BoborAnn"
wrote:

I have a 130200 5 HP Briggs & Stratton Engine made about 1977 on a
rototiller and I'm changing the points and condenser.
I've searched everywhere and cannot find the spec for the Gap
Can somebody help
Thanks
Bob

In the absence of other information, use a matchbook cover as a feeler
gauge and I bet it'll work just fine!

Dan
Jim R.

"red" wrote in message
BoborAnn wrote:

I have a 130200 5 HP Briggs & Stratton Engine made about 1977 on a
rototiller and I'm changing the points and condenser.
I've searched everywhere and cannot find the spec for the Gap
Can somebody help
Thanks
Bob

20 to 25 mm works with most small engines I have used

whoa.. that's gonna take some seriiously high voltage to bridge that gap.
..025 inches is proabably more like it.

red

Jim R. wrote:
"red" wrote in message

BoborAnn wrote:

I have a 130200 5 HP Briggs & Stratton Engine made about 1977 on a
rototiller and I'm changing the points and condenser.
I've searched everywhere and cannot find the spec for the Gap
Can somebody help
Thanks
Bob

20 to 25 mm works with most small engines I have used

whoa.. that's gonna take some seriiously high voltage to bridge that gap.
.025 inches is proabably more like it.

oops. that what I meant. forgot the decimal.:0
Backlash

I don't think a one inch point gap will work. :-) Usually .020 gap will do,
if I remember from 35 years ago. 294628 used to be the part # for the points
on a Briggs. Another forgotten part number would get you the little phenolic
plunger that pushes the points. There is a line around the plunger that
indicates when it is worn down and needs replacing. While turning the
engine, if the line disappears into the block's bearing boss, then replace
the plunger rod, as it affects the engines timing events. Also, the first
two digits in the engine number represent cubic inches displacement. End of
70's flashback....

RJ

"red" wrote in message
BoborAnn wrote:

I have a 130200 5 HP Briggs & Stratton Engine made about 1977 on a
rototiller and I'm changing the points and condenser.
I've searched everywhere and cannot find the spec for the Gap
Can somebody help
Thanks
Bob

20 to 25 mm works with most small engines I have used

Backlash

Voltage doesn't "bridge" the gap. The OPENING of the points collapses the
coil's field, causing it to fire the plug. The gap in this case determines
ignition timing, and also point dwell, which determines coil saturation,
which affects coil output.

RJ

"Jim R." mmm...nah wrote in message

"red" wrote in message
BoborAnn wrote:

I have a 130200 5 HP Briggs & Stratton Engine made about 1977 on a
rototiller and I'm changing the points and condenser.
I've searched everywhere and cannot find the spec for the Gap
Can somebody help
Thanks
Bob

20 to 25 mm works with most small engines I have used

whoa.. that's gonna take some seriiously high voltage to bridge that gap.
.025 inches is proabably more like it.

Greg O

..020"

Greg O

"red" wrote in message
Jim R. wrote:
"red" wrote in message

BoborAnn wrote:

I have a 130200 5 HP Briggs & Stratton Engine made about 1977 on a
rototiller and I'm changing the points and condenser.
I've searched everywhere and cannot find the spec for the Gap
Can somebody help
Thanks
Bob

20 to 25 mm works with most small engines I have used

whoa.. that's gonna take some seriiously high voltage to bridge that gap.
.025 inches is proabably more like it.

oops. that what I meant. forgot the decimal.:0

Better change that mm to inches too!
Greg

Jim R.

"Backlash" wrote in message
news
Voltage doesn't "bridge" the gap. The OPENING of the points collapses the
coil's field, causing it to fire the plug. The gap in this case determines
ignition timing, and also point dwell, which determines coil saturation,
which affects coil output.

RJ

You're right - I was thiniking plug gap.

"red" wrote in message
BoborAnn wrote:

I have a 130200 5 HP Briggs & Stratton Engine made about 1977 on a
rototiller and I'm changing the points and condenser.
I've searched everywhere and cannot find the spec for the Gap
Can somebody help
Thanks
Bob

20 to 25 mm works with most small engines I have used

whoa.. that's gonna take some seriiously high voltage to bridge that

gap.
.025 inches is proabably more like it.

Stormin Mormon

Been .020 inches for everything I've ever done on B and S.

Plug gap is 025 or 030, can't remember.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"BoborAnn" wrote in message
I have a 130200 5 HP Briggs & Stratton Engine made about 1977 on a
rototiller and I'm changing the points and condenser.
I've searched everywhere and cannot find the spec for the Gap
Can somebody help
Thanks
Bob

George E. Cawthon

BoborAnn wrote:
I have a 130200 5 HP Briggs & Stratton Engine made about 1977 on a
rototiller and I'm changing the points and condenser.
I've searched everywhere and cannot find the spec for the Gap
Can somebody help
Thanks
Bob

I have that engine on a rototiller bought in '78.
The book says the point gap is 0.020" If you
need any more info, email me.