Michael Gray

Default Replacement engine for BMW 320i

So many of you know so much ... thought I'd ask here.
A young friend of mine has a BMW 320i, a direct-from-the-Fatherland
vehicle, bought 2nd hand in Victoria, BC. The engine is fried, and
has a broken camshaft! it's a 6 cylinder, series E21.
Can anyone tell me of a drop-in replacement engine that would be
suitable for this vehicle? Where should she look?
Mike in Burns Lake, BC

In article ,
Michael Gray wrote:
So many of you know so much ... thought I'd ask here.
A young friend of mine has a BMW 320i, a direct-from-the-Fatherland
vehicle, bought 2nd hand in Victoria, BC. The engine is fried, and
has a broken camshaft! it's a 6 cylinder, series E21.
Can anyone tell me of a drop-in replacement engine that would be
suitable for this vehicle? Where should she look?
Mike in Burns Lake, BC

Hmmm, I am not that familliar with the E21 series, but a quick search shows
that the E21 series came with two different 6 cylinder engines. The 320/6
came with a 2L carbuerated engine and the 323i came with a 2.3L fuel
injected engine. I know that the 2.3L engine is an early m20 model and that
the cylinder heads on the 2.3, 2.5, and 2.7 liter m20 engines are all
compatable (they will bolt up, and the engine will run, but they are not
really interchangable unless you swap a lot of other parts to correct the
compression ratio and so on...). This leads me to believe that any of the
m20 engines will drop in and bolt up. This would mean that potentially you
could use an engine out of any e30 if you bring the wiring harness and ECU
with it. If you used an m20b27 engine out of a 325e you would have about the
same HP but a lower max RPM and probably more torque. If you used an m20b25
engine out of a 325i you would retain the same max RPM and end up with more
torque and HP.

-- Joe, '87 325i

--
Joseph M. Krzeszewski Mechanical Engineering and stuff
Jack of All Trades, Master of None... Yet
Simon

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Michael Gray wrote:
[...]

I believe the 320 was an M60 engine

Michael, you might find out a lot more here
http://www.bmwworld.com/models/e21.htm

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 03:12:34 GMT, Michael Gray
pixelated:

So many of you know so much ... thought I'd ask here.
A young friend of mine has a BMW 320i, a direct-from-the-Fatherland
vehicle, bought 2nd hand in Victoria, BC. The engine is fried, and
has a broken camshaft! it's a 6 cylinder, series E21.
Can anyone tell me of a drop-in replacement engine that would be
suitable for this vehicle? Where should she look?
Mike in Burns Lake, BC

Yugo made a...

-
Gently-used Firestone tires for sale at discount!
-----------
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
Carl Byrns

On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 16:07:24 GMT, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Yugo made a...

....poor copy of a FIAT 128. A shining example of Communism inaction.

-Carl

Lidl tools Michael Mcneil UK diy 87 July 14th 04 10:00 PM
Servicing Honda lawnmower petrol engine Frank Stacey UK diy 3 March 19th 04 08:36 PM
Engine oil as an essential item in the tree-surgeon's kit bag D.M. Procida UK diy 17 February 17th 04 09:13 AM
sheet metal gas engine project clare @ snyder.on .ca Metalworking 10 August 27th 03 01:47 AM
Need Advice for Fabricating Engine Support Bridge Tim Marciniak Metalworking 3 July 26th 03 06:05 AM