Default Wood floor with a border

I've already bought the wood.

I plan to put a 10 inch border all the way around the room of Brazilian
cherry. Then I plan to "fill" the interior with hickory.

Should I do all the border first? Then fill?

I'm worried about the interior having perfect 90 degree (i.e. square)
corners. If they aren't square I'll get little gaps.

Suggestions?

P.S. Between this project and the pergola project mentioned in a

I don't understand your answer. The border I'm referrinf to is not the
moulding (aka baseboard), it's actually floor, too.

Thanks for the references......

I spoke with the installer at the place I bought the wood and
recommends exactly the opposite! I.e. put the border in first. He says
that, yes, when you reach the far side, the angles may not be exactly
90 degrees but its easier to cut 89 degrees on the miter saw than to
get the "field" centered and true and them put in the border.

He also says, you can make both ways work.

Not sure what I'll do -- I'll have to decide tomorrow.

Charles Spitzer

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the references......

I spoke with the installer at the place I bought the wood and
recommends exactly the opposite! I.e. put the border in first. He says
that, yes, when you reach the far side, the angles may not be exactly
90 degrees but its easier to cut 89 degrees on the miter saw than to
get the "field" centered and true and them put in the border.

He also says, you can make both ways work.

Not sure what I'll do -- I'll have to decide tomorrow.

if you do the field first, and make it square, then you can add the border
easily. if the room isn't square, you can usually hide the off-ness under
the shoe molding. at least the non-squareness will be at the edge and
hopefully under something, so you won't see it as much.

miamicuse

I agree. Nothing is perfectly square. The room itself may be off, having a
border sort of force your hand to decide where to hide the unevenness. Hide
them all under the baseboards. Don't hide half in the baseboards and half
on the other side of the border.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the references......

I spoke with the installer at the place I bought the wood and
recommends exactly the opposite! I.e. put the border in first. He says
that, yes, when you reach the far side, the angles may not be exactly
90 degrees but its easier to cut 89 degrees on the miter saw than to
get the "field" centered and true and them put in the border.

He also says, you can make both ways work.

Not sure what I'll do -- I'll have to decide tomorrow.

if you do the field first, and make it square, then you can add the border
easily. if the room isn't square, you can usually hide the off-ness under
the shoe molding. at least the non-squareness will be at the edge and
hopefully under something, so you won't see it as much.

Your suggestions sounds like a good one but I followed the advice of
the guy that sold me the wood (www.macwoods.com). It worked just fine
for two rooms. You method works, too, I'm sure. Thanks!