peter

Default roofing shakes minimum requirements?

I just had my roof replaced but I want to check the contractor did the job
correctly.

I'm concern about

the minimum width of roofing shakes (cedar)
the minimum distance between the edge of one shake and the edge of the one
below/above it
the minimum thickness

Is there a national guideline for this type of thing, or where should I go
look for a rules that applies to my house (in seattle)? The State? The City?
The manufacturer of the shake?

Duane Bozarth

peter wrote:

I just had my roof replaced but I want to check the contractor did the job
correctly.

I'm concern about

the minimum width of roofing shakes (cedar)
the minimum distance between the edge of one shake and the edge of the one
below/above it
the minimum thickness

Is there a national guideline for this type of thing, or where should I go
look for a rules that applies to my house (in seattle)? The State? The City?
The manufacturer of the shake?

(D) There was an installation sticker w/ every bundle of shakes.

Depending on what particular shake you had, the setback is somewhere
between 5 and 9 inches. The minimum width is whatever is in the
bundle. Same goes for the thickness. A good installer will reject
wildly out of average shakes as he goes. Remember, if you're really
talking shakes as opposed to shingles, they're split so variation is the
norm.

I'd also note that if you had concerns, the time to have raised them was
while the work was in progress....
Jim Ranieri

Here's a link that might help,
http://www.cedarbureau.org/

having said that, the randomness of the shakes is part of the whole appeal.
Taking a tape measure to the roof to ensure that every shake meets
guidelines seems, well, a little absurd.

"peter" wrote in message
I just had my roof replaced but I want to check the contractor did the job
correctly.

I'm concern about

the minimum width of roofing shakes (cedar)
the minimum distance between the edge of one shake and the edge of the one
below/above it
the minimum thickness

Is there a national guideline for this type of thing, or where should I go
look for a rules that applies to my house (in seattle)? The State? The

City?
The manufacturer of the shake?

Michael Nickolas

the minimum width of roofing shakes (cedar)

Minimum width is around 5" usually, but I don't think there is a
minimum width "rule".

the minimum distance between the edge of one shake and the edge of the one
below/above it

One and 1/2 inches.

the minimum thickness

I think a shake butt is 5/8 ths, no?

Is there a national guideline for this type of thing, or where should I go

Definitely cedarbureau.org mentioned in the previous post!

look for a rules that applies to my house (in seattle)? The State? The City?

Probably based on City code. I'm putting up shakes and have to follow
City code, which is exact to what is on the cedarbureau website.

Remember, if you're really
talking shakes as opposed to shingles, they're split

They do make a tapersawn shake, which is what I'm using. It's sawn
like a shingle, but thicker, like a shake.

Duane Bozarth

Michael Nickolas wrote:

the minimum width of roofing shakes (cedar)

Minimum width is around 5" usually, but I don't think there is a
minimum width "rule".

Don't know whose you're using, but there certainly are a bunch far less
than that in every bundle I've ever laid....more like 3" would be my
estimate, but I've not measured them to actually see what the smallest
were.

the minimum distance between the edge of one shake and the edge of the one
below/above it

One and 1/2 inches.

Man, that would take a lot of material if you mean a setback of
1-1/2"???

the minimum thickness

I think a shake butt is 5/8 ths, no?

Depends on the weight--there are 1/2" too, at least. I suspect there
are other variations available as well. Certainly w/ sawn shingles
"juniors" of 3/8" are common.

Remember, if you're really
talking shakes as opposed to shingles, they're split

They do make a tapersawn shake, which is what I'm using. It's sawn
like a shingle, but thicker, like a shake.

That's a heavier weight shingle in my thinking...

peter

I found something in my city code that says roofing should conform to UBC
chapter 15. I believe UBC is uniform building code. However, I can't seem to
find an online copy to look at. Could someone help?

"Michael Nickolas" wrote in message
news

Probably based on City code. I'm putting up shakes and have to follow
City code, which is exact to what is on the cedarbureau website.

Michael Nickolas

Don't know whose you're using, but there certainly are a bunch far less
than that in every bundle I've ever laid....more like 3" would be my
estimate, but I've not measured them to actually see what the smallest
were.

Ah, thanks for the heads up. Mine haven't arrived yet, supposed to be
here next week. Just based the 5" number on my shopping research.

Man, that would take a lot of material if you mean a setback of
1-1/2"???

I thought they were asking for the minimum side lap between joints in
adjacent courses!

They do make a tapersawn shake, which is what I'm using. It's sawn
like a shingle, but thicker, like a shake.

That's a heavier weight shingle in my thinking...

I guess so. They call it a tapersawn shake though. It's installed like
a regular shake, using the felt interlay technique.

Michael Nickolas

"peter" wrote:

I found something in my city code that says roofing should conform to UBC
chapter 15. I believe UBC is uniform building code. However, I can't seem to
find an online copy to look at. Could someone help?

Not sure really. When I got the permit to reshingle my Mansard they
simply photo copied the appropriate section of the city building code
for me.

Michael Nickolas
www.studionineproductions.com
Goedjn

On Thu, 19 May 2005 11:00:24 -0400, Michael Nickolas
wrote:

"peter" wrote:

I found something in my city code that says roofing should conform to UBC
chapter 15. I believe UBC is uniform building code. However, I can't seem to
find an online copy to look at. Could someone help?

As far as I know, all of the model codes are copyrighted by the
issuing organization. Librarys sometimes will have them, but
you won't find them on the internet, you're supposed to buy them.
Duane Bozarth

Michael Nickolas wrote:

I thought they were asking for the minimum side lap between joints in
adjacent courses!

Ahh...yes, I'd agree that an inch would be a bare minimum in my
book...I'd prefer more like two or greater. On a narrow shake like a 3"
I mentioned as probably a minimum, I'll certainly shoot for hitting it
in the middle.

Metal Roofing ptgoodman Home Repair 7 July 13th 06 02:47 AM
rolled roofing removal NewRoofer Home Repair 5 February 10th 04 04:41 PM
Rolled Roofing Blowing Off Manufactured Home, Repair Expensive? AJ Home Repair 7 July 9th 03 12:12 AM
Rolled Roofing Blowing Off Manufactured Home, Repair Expensive? AJ Home Ownership 5 July 9th 03 12:12 AM
Ok to apply second rolled roofing over first? Fred Home Repair 2 July 2nd 03 06:19 PM