Nathan Otis

Default carpet question

(delurk)

I hope someone here can help me out... I came home to a fist sized hole in
the carpet today. The dog got bored I guess.... The hole is all the way to
the concrete... and we're in an apartment.

Is the lease office going to have top replace the whole room, or can it be
patched?

Thanks,
n.

(if there's a better group to ask, let me know)

Robert Allison

Nathan Otis wrote:
(delurk)

I hope someone here can help me out... I came home to a fist sized hole in
the carpet today. The dog got bored I guess.... The hole is all the way to
the concrete... and we're in an apartment.

Is the lease office going to have top replace the whole room, or can it be
patched?

Thanks,
n.

(if there's a better group to ask, let me know)

The proper way to fix it would be to replace the whole room.
If you could find the exact weight, weave and color of carpet
with the same amount of wear and fading, you could patch it
and it wouldn't be too noticeable. But you aren't going to be
able to do that.

You might talk to the manager and confess. Offer to pay for a
patch. They have carpet companies that do their work and they
will have the best bet of getting a carpet that will match.
Tell them you are willing to live with a patch and they will
probably go for it.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Kyle Boatright

Several questions:

Is the hole in a prominent location?

How worn is the carpet in the area immediately surrounding the hole?

How big is the room where the dog chewed the hole?

My thoughts are that any patching effort you make isn't going to make the
problem disappear. Here's what you'd need to do to make the repair,
followed by why I don't think it'll work:

1) If the hole is 4" in diameter, rake the pile away from the hole in all 4
directions and carefully cut out a nice square to get yourself a true edge.

2) Beg, borrow, or steal a piece of pad that matches what the dog ate, if
any. Glue it down to replace what was lost. Use contact cement or double
sided carpet tape. Also tack down the edges of the adjoining pad so it
doesn't wrinkle under your patch.

3) Find an inconspicuous place which has the following two characteristics:
a) The carpet matches what was torn up in color, how dirty it is, and how
worn it is physically. b) If you cut a patch from this location, the
apartment complex won't notice.

4) Cut a fill piece from the location you identified in step 3. Cut it
exactly to the size of the square hole you created in step 1.

5) Use duct tape or equivalent around the edges of the hole to attach the
replacement piece. Make sure you get the pile direction of the replacement
piece oriented the same way as what was destroyed.

6) Vacuum the area, then spritz the area lightly with water and vacuum
again. This may help blend the new and old pile.

7) Stand back and admire the very obvious patch you've created, and realize
that the apartment complex will see it too, and probably the place where you
took your patch material from. Prepare to pay an outrageous sum for
relatively cheap replacement carpet.

What would I really do? If the hole is in a small room or hallway, call a
local dealer and get them to replace that room with something that is a
close match. With apartment grade carpet, you should be able to find
something almost identical. When your lease is up, the carpet may not quite
match, but you can always tell the apartment complex that it was like that
when you moved in. No harm, no foul.

Otherwise, find out how often your complex replaces the carpet and if you're
planning on staying there at least that long, throw a rug over the area and
make good friends with the super so s/he doesn't stick you with the bill
when you move out, since they would replace the carpet, hole or not...

Good luck.

"Nathan Otis" wrote in message
(delurk)

I hope someone here can help me out... I came home to a fist sized hole in
the carpet today. The dog got bored I guess.... The hole is all the way to
the concrete... and we're in an apartment.

Is the lease office going to have top replace the whole room, or can it be
patched?

Thanks,
n.

(if there's a better group to ask, let me know)

Edwin Pawlowski

"Robert Allison" wrote in message

Is the lease office going to have top replace the whole room, or can it
be patched?

(if there's a better group to ask, let me know)

Yes, ask the guys down at the lease office.

Nathan Otis

Thanks all. Just to clarify, I'm not trying to get away with anything shady,
just preparing for what they might need to do (ie, patch or replace the
whole room).

We're moving out in July... Got a new house and the dog will be spending
time in the basement...
Thanks again.
n.

"Nathan Otis" wrote in message
(delurk)

I hope someone here can help me out... I came home to a fist sized hole in
the carpet today. The dog got bored I guess.... The hole is all the way to
the concrete... and we're in an apartment.

Is the lease office going to have top replace the whole room, or can it be
patched?

Thanks,
n.

(if there's a better group to ask, let me know)

wayne

depending on how old the carpet is you could have it patched using a piece
from a closet it is pretty common to do that if the carpet is pretty old it
won't match too well but you should not be changed much for the damage.
Contact a local carpet company and they can tell you what can be done.

Wayne

"Nathan Otis" wrote in message
(delurk)

I hope someone here can help me out... I came home to a fist sized hole in
the carpet today. The dog got bored I guess.... The hole is all the way to
the concrete... and we're in an apartment.

Is the lease office going to have top replace the whole room, or can it be
patched?

Thanks,
n.

(if there's a better group to ask, let me know)

Phisherman

On Mon, 16 May 2005 18:20:20 -0600, "Nathan Otis"
wrote:

(delurk)

I hope someone here can help me out... I came home to a fist sized hole in
the carpet today. The dog got bored I guess.... The hole is all the way to
the concrete... and we're in an apartment.

Is the lease office going to have top replace the whole room, or can it be
patched?

Thanks,
n.

(if there's a better group to ask, let me know)

I think the leasing office will have to replace the carpeting. A
patch will be noticable.
barbarow

It can be patched if you have a closet or other space where you or a
repairman can cut out a patch and blend it in
where he cuts out a square or circle.
"Nathan Otis" wrote in message
(delurk)

I hope someone here can help me out... I came home to a fist sized hole in
the carpet today. The dog got bored I guess.... The hole is all the way to
the concrete... and we're in an apartment.

Is the lease office going to have top replace the whole room, or can it be
patched?

Thanks,
n.

(if there's a better group to ask, let me know)

ZsaZsa

I had a carpet company repair some cat damage under a few doors, three small
patches, about 4 inches in diameter. I had pieces of the original carpet.

The "carpet guys" (illegals working cheap) did a terrible job and the
carpet didn't match so it was a double whammy. After a few months during
which the carpets were shampooed, the color variation is far less
noticeable, but the rotton job the "carpet guys" did, is still terrible. I
wish I had just done it myself. The patches they cut are all ragged, they
didn't check the direction of the nap, and they super glued them down so I
can't get them up.

If you call a carpet company, make sure they send someone who has a clue
what they're doing.

You can "dirty" a patch to match the carpet, but you can't unsuperglue a
mess, if they make one.

Also, the carpet company never bothered to respond to my complaints.

My suggestion is to see if you can find a piece of matching carpet, cut your
patch and see how it blends in, and if it does, just go ahead and tape or
glue it in, not worrying about the color variation as much as the fit.
The color will conform over time if it's the same carpet.

It's worth a shot to do it yourself, but not to pay a carpet company to do
it, IMO.