Magnusfarce

Default Material for Outside Workbench Top ?

I have a sturdy steel frame from an old table saw that I want to prime and
paint and keep outside in a storage area for use as a little workbench. I
can fight rust on the frame with proper painting, but what kind of material
can I use as a work surface that will stand up to rain, sun, etc? I need a
piece only about two and a half feet square. Would any of the newer
synthetic kitchen counter materials, e.g., Corian, be tough enough?

- Magnusfarce

Corian would last a long time. However tha seems like an expensive way
to go, especially since the bottom frame is an old saw base.

How flat do you need it? If it doesn't have to be too flat, you might
could use cay/slate/ceramic tiles. Of course, you couldn't be banging
it with a hammer.....

Another option is wood. Just treat it or paint it good (use primer).
Ipe would be a good choice. A softer alternative would be readwood.
It's last a good ten years, maybe longer. You can sand it down and
refinished it every two or three years.....

dadiOH

Magnusfarce wrote:
I have a sturdy steel frame from an old table saw that I want to
prime and paint and keep outside in a storage area for use as a
little workbench. I can fight rust on the frame with proper
painting, but what kind of material can I use as a work surface that
will stand up to rain, sun, etc?

Concrete

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Duane Bozarth

Magnusfarce wrote:

I have a sturdy steel frame from an old table saw that I want to prime and
paint and keep outside in a storage area for use as a little workbench. I
can fight rust on the frame with proper painting, but what kind of material
can I use as a work surface that will stand up to rain, sun, etc? I need a
piece only about two and a half feet square. Would any of the newer
synthetic kitchen counter materials, e.g., Corian, be tough enough?

What kind of work do you intend to do on it? Corian will stand up to
the weather, but wouldn't stand much shock. Here where it's reasonably
dry most of the time and our prime weather culprit is UV, I'd just use
treated lumber and expect it would last the rest of my expected working
time...
Gina and Les Armstrong

"Magnusfarce" wrote in message
I have a sturdy steel frame from an old table saw that I want to prime and
paint and keep outside in a storage area for use as a little workbench. I
can fight rust on the frame with proper painting, but what kind of
material
can I use as a work surface that will stand up to rain, sun, etc? I need
piece only about two and a half feet square. Would any of the newer
synthetic kitchen counter materials, e.g., Corian, be tough enough?

- Magnusfarce

Pressure treated lumber, 2x4,2x6, 2x8, 5/4, would all work.

Magnusfarce

Hi, OP here -

Interesting ideas, but I would like a flat, relatively smooth surface that
would take some pounding (and even some occasional drill-throughs). That
would rule out stone and concrete, and Corian if it's that brittle. I don't
want treated lumber as a surface, but maybe I can use it as an under layer
with a replaceable top, like masonite. Hmmm.

- Magnusfarce

"Magnusfarce" wrote in message
I have a sturdy steel frame from an old table saw that I want to prime and
paint and keep outside in a storage area for use as a little workbench. I
can fight rust on the frame with proper painting, but what kind of

material
can I use as a work surface that will stand up to rain, sun, etc? I need

piece only about two and a half feet square. Would any of the newer
synthetic kitchen counter materials, e.g., Corian, be tough enough?

- Magnusfarce

Edwin Pawlowski

"Magnusfarce" wrote in message
Hi, OP here -

Interesting ideas, but I would like a flat, relatively smooth surface that
would take some pounding (and even some occasional drill-throughs). That
would rule out stone and concrete, and Corian if it's that brittle. I
don't
want treated lumber as a surface, but maybe I can use it as an under layer
with a replaceable top, like masonite. Hmmm.

- Magnusfarce

MDO Medium Density Overlay. This is a plywood like material that is made
for outdoor use. It is used for highway signs. Has a very smooth outer
surface.

Some wood dealers will carry it but it is a sort of specialty item so do
call first. Where are you located? I have a piece 26 x 48 I'd sell for
cost, but I'm in CT.

Backlash

Corian will drill, and it can be had for free or for a small fee sometimes
from a counter top shop as sink cutouts. Not sure how it does outdoors.
My friend in the business just filled a rental dumpster with scraps like
that of Corian and stone and such, as he's moving his business to another
location. Needless to say, the workbenches in my new workshop I'm planning
will likely be of Corian. :-). I already covered a mobile workbench with it.

RJ

[...]

Jim Yanik

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in

"Magnusfarce" wrote in message
Hi, OP here -

Interesting ideas, but I would like a flat, relatively smooth surface
that would take some pounding (and even some occasional
drill-throughs). That would rule out stone and concrete, and Corian
if it's that brittle. I don't
want treated lumber as a surface, but maybe I can use it as an under
layer with a replaceable top, like masonite. Hmmm.

- Magnusfarce

MDO Medium Density Overlay. This is a plywood like material that is
made for outdoor use. It is used for highway signs. Has a very
smooth outer surface.

But not good for pounding on,it would break off unless supported well.
Or if you layer 3-4 sheets of it.8-)

(Mentioned in the latset WOOD magazine's article on workbench tops.)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik

"Backlash" wrote in
ink.net:

My friend in the business just filled a rental dumpster with
scraps like
that of Corian and stone and such, as he's moving his business to
another location. Needless to say, the workbenches in my new workshop
I'm planning will likely be of Corian. :-). I already covered a mobile
workbench with it.

RJ

Gee,I'm just thinking of all the projects that could be done with your
Corian.Nice score!

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Edwin Pawlowski

"Jim Yanik" . wrote in message

MDO Medium Density Overlay. This is a plywood like material that is
made for outdoor use. It is used for highway signs. Has a very
smooth outer surface.

But not good for pounding on,it would break off unless supported well.
Or if you layer 3-4 sheets of it.8-)

(Mentioned in the latset WOOD magazine's article on workbench tops.)

How much pounding? I've had a 3/4" plywood top on my bench for 35 years and
it has not broken at all. I recently doubled it so I could put Lee Valley
bench pups in it. and end vice, but is has been plenty strong all those
years.

Sure, heavier is better, but it also depends on the work you do. Not
everyone needs 3" maple