toller

Default Sweat fittings for soft copper

I bought some 3/8" soft copper tubing, which fits the 3/8" compression
fittings just fine.

I also bought some 3/8" sweat elbows and Ts. They are way too big.

Presumably it is a matter of ID and OD being used for different components?
What size sweat fitting go with 3/8" soft copper?
What are the 3/8" sweat fittings for? I've never seen 3/8" hard copper.

Doug Miller

In article , "toller" wrote:
I bought some 3/8" soft copper tubing, which fits the 3/8" compression
fittings just fine.

I also bought some 3/8" sweat elbows and Ts. They are way too big.

That's because they're made for 3/8 copper *pipe*.

Presumably it is a matter of ID and OD being used for different components?

It's a matter of 3/8 tube and 3/8 pipe not being the same size. 3/8 tube is
3/8 actual ID.

What size sweat fitting go with 3/8" soft copper?

None that I know of. Sweat fittings are for pipe, compression and flare
fittings are for tube.

What are the 3/8" sweat fittings for? I've never seen 3/8" hard copper.

3/8 copper pipe.

--
Regards,

lp13-30

I don't know what kind of tees and elbows you got, but we run into this
sometimes with plumbing and A/C fittings.What plumbers call 1/2" copper,
we (A/C) call 5/8, same for 3/4 vs 7/8, and 1" vs 1 1/8. 1/2" ref copper
is rarely used in plumbing and I don't thnk 3/4 ref is ever used. I do
not think plumbers use many 3/8 fittings other that compression or
flare. I have never noticed them in the plumbing dept at HD or Lowes,
though I must admit I never really looked hard for them. If you cant
find what you need there or at a plumbing supply, then try an A/C supply
house. Take a sample of an inch or so of your tubing to make sure you
are getting what you need. HTH Larry

Stormin Mormon

HVAC/R copper is typically OD. Water copper is ID. So.... your "too large"
fittings are probably water copper, and the tubing is refrigeration copper.

At least, that's my memory of how it works.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"toller" wrote in message
I bought some 3/8" soft copper tubing, which fits the 3/8" compression
fittings just fine.

I also bought some 3/8" sweat elbows and Ts. They are way too big.

Presumably it is a matter of ID and OD being used for different components?
What size sweat fitting go with 3/8" soft copper?
What are the 3/8" sweat fittings for? I've never seen 3/8" hard copper.

toller

If anyone is interested...

At one hardware store I found two packages of 3/8" tubing next to each
other. One was 3/8" inside diameter, the other was 3/8" outside diameter.
The smaller one was marked refrigeration.

At another hardware store I found sweat fittings for the smaller tubing,
which I needed because it is the one that fits the 3/8" compression fittings
I have.

So all is well.

baldrick

Ask for 1/4" sweat fittings they will fit 3/8 od tubing, use them for
A/C all the time

Aluminum wiring... Roy Metalworking 15 February 20th 05 07:20 PM
HD's copper pipe fittings with solder already in them??!! toller Home Repair 1 February 13th 05 10:37 PM
Gas copper fittings? Rob Home Repair 7 January 14th 05 02:44 AM
Determining Geologic Sources of Native American Copper Yuri Kuchinsky Metalworking 92 June 23rd 04 05:21 PM
Compression Fittings on Type L Rigid Copper ??? Michael Roback Home Ownership 4 November 23rd 03 06:15 PM