straydog

Default Woes of wrinkled new carpet.........

We put in wall to wall carpeting just about 3 years ago. Nice at first.
Slowly the wrinkles started appearing. This isn't a new phenomenon; we
bought a house 15 years earlier and it was only about 4 years old and it
had these same kind of wrinkles (as if the carpet just expanded in area or
repeated walking caused it to stretch) and we sold that house without ever
doing anything about the wrinkles (and the new buyers never said anything
about it, either, but it would be something I'd want to fix).

So, if there isn't some "magic" cure/fix for this, I'm presuming that I've
got to find some carpet intaller-guy and have him spend, what, 1/2 to full
day of restretching/relaying the carpet (not to mention moving a whole
bunch of furniture out of that area [a bear of a project on its own]), or
else get one of those knee-kick or power stretchers and do it myself?

Yeah, carpet is over a pad about 3/4 inch thick or so.

Art S.

twfsa

I've heard that if you have the carpet cleaned by these companys that use
super hot water,( almost steam) that it breaks down the carpet backing which
is of latex composition, then walking on the carpet after its cleaned it
streaches, and there's your wrinkles, we always use a dry cleaning method
and have not had any problems, our carpet is 11 yrs old.

Tom

"straydog" wrote in message
. org...

[...]

Josh

"straydog" wrote

[...]

No carpet expert here, just some homeowner experience, and some knowledge I
picked up from an acquaintance which is a certified master installer and
does all those fancy inlays.

I had my friend install my entire house. He told me the problem with most
installs is the installer doesn't stretch the carpet enough in the first
place, IIRC, he said it needs stretched 2" in each direction, though my
memory might be fibbing to me. He said when they try to stretch it, they
usually over stretch in an area, then not enough in another area. He said
some even "mist" the carpet with water hoping it will shrink to the right
size (which he said won't work)

My carpet is 10 years old now (ya, needs some updating for colors), not one
wrinkle anywhere, or any signs of over stretched carpet. Hoping to get him
back for all new carpet b/4 he retires.

btw, he used a power stretcher on every room.

G Henslee

straydog wrote:

We put in wall to wall carpeting just about 3 years ago. Nice at first.
Slowly the wrinkles started appearing.

So, if there isn't some "magic" cure/fix for this, I'm presuming that
I've got to find some carpet intaller-guy and have him spend, what, 1/2
to full day of restretching/relaying the carpet (not to mention moving a
whole bunch of furniture out of that area [a bear of a project on its
own]), or else get one of those knee-kick or power stretchers and do it
myself?

It's common to have new carpet re-stretched after a year or two. Done
properly requires the furniture be moved. Bite the bullet.
Kyle Boatright

"G Henslee" wrote in message
straydog wrote:

We put in wall to wall carpeting just about 3 years ago. Nice at first.
Slowly the wrinkles started appearing. So, if there isn't some "magic"
cure/fix for this, I'm presuming that I've got to find some carpet
intaller-guy and have him spend, what, 1/2 to full day of
restretching/relaying the carpet (not to mention moving a whole bunch of
furniture out of that area [a bear of a project on its own]), or else get
one of those knee-kick or power stretchers and do it myself?

It's common to have new carpet re-stretched after a year or two. Done
properly requires the furniture be moved. Bite the bullet.

It may be common, but if the carpet was properly installed, it shouldn't be
necessary.

Either the installer didn't stretch the carpet enough during installation,
or the product is/was defective. Either way, the retailer should stand
behind the product and have the product restretched or replaced at no cost
to the owner.

borgunit

A little info...

http://www.carpet-rug.com/drill_down_2.cfm?page=6&sub=6

I doubt it should take 1/2 to a full day to have an installer simply
restretch the existing carpet in an average room. I would think a
couple hours should do it and it shouldn't cost much.

Doug Kanter

wrote in message
oups.com...
I doubt it should take 1/2 to a full day to have an installer simply
restretch the existing carpet in an average room. I would think a
couple hours should do it and it shouldn't cost much.

If the carpet's tacked down at the edges, and the carpet is restretched, it
seems to me that the only difference between the original installation and
the restretching job would be the cutting. Won't it need to be un-tacked at
the wall, and then reattached after the slack's been taken up?

George E. Cawthon

straydog wrote:

[...]

You've been give a lot of weird answers. Part of
the problem is all carpets are not equal. If have
quality carpet installed by a good installer, it
won't ever have to be restretched. Ours has been
down for 19 years and is still stretched the same
as new. (Time for a new carpet as it is worn in
some places). Contrary to what some have said,
wrinkle development is not common.

The problem with cheap carpets is that they may
tear if you stretch them the amount needed. If
you have good quality carpet, then the problem is
the installation.

You should consider doing it yourself, and you
could use a knee kicker. If you are handy you can
covert the knee kicker to a real stretcher, with
some 2x4s and a couple of bolts. Restretching
doesn't require moving all the furniture,
especially if you do it yourself and proceed in
small degrees. Your biggest concern will be to
not tear the carpet, Read a couple of books.

OTOH, restretching by a professional is likely to
be only an hour or two job for a whole house.