Mike

Default Roofing Quote Question

I know nothing about roofs. A roofer gave me a quote to fix leaks:

mansard & porch roofs remove the existing roofing exposing the roof deck.
Secure one ply of roofers select high performance underlayment (winterguard
ice and water barrier on front porch) over exposed brick. Nail new 25 year
certainteed xt (astm d3462) fiberglass ul class a fire resistance asphalt
roof shingles. Line concealed gutter with modified bitumen. Replace
necessary flashing. 2 year workmanship guarantee 25 year limited
transferable warranty Premises to be left clean and free of debris.

Should I upgrade any of the materials? Other modifications?

Thanks,

MIke

Edwin Pawlowski

"Mike" wrote in message
I know nothing about roofs. A roofer gave me a quote to fix leaks:

mansard & porch roofs remove the existing roofing exposing the roof deck.
Secure one ply of roofers select high performance underlayment
(winterguard ice and water barrier on front porch) over exposed brick.
Nail new 25 year certainteed xt (astm d3462) fiberglass ul class a fire
resistance asphalt roof shingles. Line concealed gutter with modified
bitumen. Replace necessary flashing. 2 year workmanship guarantee 25 year
limited transferable warranty Premises to be left clean and free of
debris.

Should I upgrade any of the materials? Other modifications?

I'd consider a 40 year shingle as the labor cost is the same. If you plan
to sell in a few years, it is not such a big deal, but if you stay there,
it can be a big deal and money saver 20 years from now.

Mike

Good point. I'll do it. What about the rest of the materials?
The porch has "hidden" gutters ie, kind of like a trough covered with the
roofing material.
Should I upgrade the paper on the roof?

Mike

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...

"Mike" wrote in message
I know nothing about roofs. A roofer gave me a quote to fix leaks:

mansard & porch roofs remove the existing roofing exposing the roof deck.
Secure one ply of roofers select high performance underlayment
(winterguard ice and water barrier on front porch) over exposed brick.
Nail new 25 year certainteed xt (astm d3462) fiberglass ul class a fire
resistance asphalt roof shingles. Line concealed gutter with modified
bitumen. Replace necessary flashing. 2 year workmanship guarantee 25 year
limited transferable warranty Premises to be left clean and free of
debris.

Should I upgrade any of the materials? Other modifications?

I'd consider a 40 year shingle as the labor cost is the same. If you plan
to sell in a few years, it is not such a big deal, but if you stay there,
it can be a big deal and money saver 20 years from now.

tom

That Ice and Water shield going in the gutter isn't meant to be exposed
to the weather, U.V. kills it. Read -underlayment-.... And the mansard
shingles require more fasteners than usual, along with a dabbing of
adhesive. Make sure this is specified in your contract. Tom

Mike

There is no gutter around the porch roof. It's got kind of a trough lined
with tar paper.
What should be used instead of Ice and Water shield?

Mike

"tom" wrote in message
oups.com...
That Ice and Water shield going in the gutter isn't meant to be exposed
to the weather, U.V. kills it. Read -underlayment-.... And the mansard
shingles require more fasteners than usual, along with a dabbing of
adhesive. Make sure this is specified in your contract. Tom

JimL

On Fri, 06 May 2005 10:20:30 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message
I know nothing about roofs. A roofer gave me a quote to fix leaks:

mansard & porch roofs remove the existing roofing exposing the roof deck.
Secure one ply of roofers select high performance underlayment
(winterguard ice and water barrier on front porch) over exposed brick.
Nail new 25 year certainteed xt (astm d3462) fiberglass ul class a fire
resistance asphalt roof shingles. Line concealed gutter with modified
bitumen. Replace necessary flashing. 2 year workmanship guarantee 25 year
limited transferable warranty Premises to be left clean and free of
debris.

Should I upgrade any of the materials? Other modifications?

I'd consider a 40 year shingle as the labor cost is the same. If you plan
to sell in a few years, it is not such a big deal, but if you stay there,
it can be a big deal and money saver 20 years from now.

All the roofers here charge extra labor for 40 year shingles due to
the extra weight..
They are much more difficult and slower to install.

tom

There is no gutter around the porch roof. It's got kind of a trough
lined
with tar paper.
What should be used instead of Ice and Water shield?

Mike

Copper, galvanized steel, something that can be soldered or sealed
watertight, etc. Tom

Yet another tub caulking question (sorry!) -this time about color MAG Home Repair 1 August 2nd 04 02:52 AM
Roofing question - hot mop, insulation under bricks on flat roof Rick Cunningham Home Repair 1 July 23rd 04 03:37 PM
new foundation question oreo123 Home Repair 11 July 20th 04 10:41 PM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM