Old May 3rd 05, 01:36 AM

Default Lawn mower and diesel?

If one were to mistakenly put diesel fuel into a lawn mower that would
normally require gasoline, what would be the result?

Ashby

Old May 3rd 05, 01:42 AM
Stormin Mormon

I presume you mean put it in the gasoline tank?

If the motor was already warm, it might continue to run. However, it
wouldn't restart if cold. You'd have to drain out the diesel and replace
with gasoline to get it running again.

No major damage.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old May 3rd 05, 01:49 AM

On Tue, 03 May 2005 00:42:53 GMT, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I presume you mean put it in the gasoline tank?

If the motor was already warm, it might continue to run. However, it
wouldn't restart if cold. You'd have to drain out the diesel and replace
with gasoline to get it running again.

No major damage.

Yes. That is exactly my problem. Thank you sooooo much.

Ashby
Old May 3rd 05, 02:37 AM
[email protected]

On Tue, 03 May 2005 01:29:39 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

If one were to mistakenly put diesel fuel into a lawn mower that would
normally require gasoline, what would be the result?

Ashby

It will not hut it, it's just oil. However the mower is not going to
run long on it.

It doesn't appear to have hurt it (well, besides it quit running and
flat out refused to restart), but it sure was belching smoke and
generally complaining a bit. It took a couple of pumps on the button
and restarts for it to run smoothly.

I am so relieved as I have a bit of a knack for making machines
inoperable.

Ashby

Old May 3rd 05, 02:22 PM
Lawrence Wasserman

If one were to mistakenly put diesel fuel into a lawn mower that would
normally require gasoline, what would be the result?

Ashby

No permanent damage, and depending on the make/model of the engine,
mayby an hour or so of cleanup & flushing time to restore to running
condition.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Old May 17th 05, 02:09 AM
Nathan Gant

Actually, adding kerosene or diesel to a gas motor would do a lot to clean
out the motor, that's what engine degreaser is made of, but you wouldn't get
it started and running until the tank is drained out and gasoline is flushed
back into the lines and tank. Nothing would damage it, though. Maybe smoke
a little out of the exhaust until the residual diesel burns off.
news