Melissa

Default Idler Pulley on dryer

In reading the www.repairclinic.com website, which I believe a frequent
poster here runs, it seems a very loud squealing noise might be caused by a
problem with the idler pulley on my electric dryer. The noise gets worse
near the end of the cycle, and is quite loud and high pitched. The glides
were replaced about 6 months ago I guess. Does this sound like the right
diagnosis and if so, is it a DIY repair? The dryer dries loads well, just
too noisy. It's a 3 yr old GE electric extra large capacity dryer.

--
Melissa
Please remove (yourshoes) to reply by email

Stormin Mormon

I've lubed a bunch of these. I don't know your skill level, so I can't
comment if it's DIY. Sounds like a good diagnosis.

One tensioner pulley, and two idlers.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Melissa" wrote in message
. ..
In reading the www.repairclinic.com website, which I believe a frequent
poster here runs, it seems a very loud squealing noise might be caused by a
problem with the idler pulley on my electric dryer. The noise gets worse
near the end of the cycle, and is quite loud and high pitched. The glides
were replaced about 6 months ago I guess. Does this sound like the right
diagnosis and if so, is it a DIY repair? The dryer dries loads well, just
too noisy. It's a 3 yr old GE electric extra large capacity dryer.

--
Melissa
Please remove (yourshoes) to reply by email

Appliance Repair Aid

Hi,

It's a 3 yr old GE electric extra large
capacity dryer

Model#? Above does little to ID the dryer.

http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html
Some model# helps.

The noise gets worse near the end of the cycle, and is quite loud

and high
pitched

Drum supports ( drum bearing, roller wheels, glides ), idler pulley,
motor are common noise makers on many dryers.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

BobK207

I had a 15 year old Kenmore that squealed horribly.

I replaced the idler wheels AND the steel stub shafts that they rode
on.
The sharts were very slightly worn & IMO were contribtuing to the
problem.

The unit is still working fine (only a few loads per week at the shop)

If you'r at all handy you can do this yourself, get the repair manual
(~$10).

If you have helper it would even be easier

Unplug the machine, take digital photos as you disaasemble

cheers
Bob

yourshoes

BobK207 wrote:
I had a 15 year old Kenmore that squealed horribly.

I replaced the idler wheels AND the steel stub shafts that they rode
on.
The sharts were very slightly worn & IMO were contribtuing to the
problem.

The unit is still working fine (only a few loads per week at the shop)

If you'r at all handy you can do this yourself, get the repair manual
(~$10).

If you have helper it would even be easier

Unplug the machine, take digital photos as you disaasemble

cheers
Bob

The dryer I have is a GE model DVL223EA0WW, 3 yr old electric dryer. I
replaced the glides a few months ago using the instructions from Jeff's
website, and that went well. Would replacing the idler pulley be a job
that is comparable in difficulty? I can read and follow instructions
just fine, but if the instructions aren't very clear I get lost in all
the parts and pieces.

Thanks, Melissa

Appliance Repair Aid

yourshoes wrote:

The dryer I have is a GE model DVL223EA0WW, 3 yr old electric dryer.

replaced the glides a few months ago using the instructions from

Jeff's
website, and that went well. Would replacing the idler pulley be a

job
that is comparable in difficulty? I can read and follow instructions

just fine, but if the instructions aren't very clear I get lost in

all
the parts and pieces.

Thanks, Melissa

Hi,

The dryer I have is a GE model DVL223EA0WW

A Frigidaire built GE dryer.

Would replacing the idler pulley be a job
that is comparable in difficulty?Frigidaire built GE dryer.

Easier!

http://tinyurl.com/bt2gm
Idler pulley and bracket.

This can be changed from the back of the dryer.....remove
power.....remove the small access panal at the back bottom to R&R the
idler pulley. This is how the belt should look around the pulley....

http://www.applianceaid.com/images/l...elt-thread.jpg

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

borgunit

Maybe the stuff they put on automobile belts would quiet your drier
also.

Appliance Repair Aid

borgunit wrote:
Maybe the stuff they put on automobile belts would quiet your drier
also.

Hi,

Usually that stuff attacks dust and gets all gunked up

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/