JimL

Default Brick - Cutting

I need to cut about a dozen brick into thirds and quarters. I've
not had any success just scoring and breaking with a hammer and
chisel. Never once got a clean break. Keep trying???

Charles Spitzer

"JimL" wrote in message
I need to cut about a dozen brick into thirds and quarters. I've
not had any success just scoring and breaking with a hammer and
chisel. Never once got a clean break. Keep trying???

rent a wet saw for a couple of hours. take them to home depot and pay
..25/cut for them to do it.

William W. Plummer

JimL wrote:

I need to cut about a dozen brick into thirds and quarters. I've
not had any success just scoring and breaking with a hammer and
chisel. Never once got a clean break. Keep trying???

Rent a saw with a masonry blade.
borgunit

You may try getting a masonry blade for your circular saw and scoring
with it.

nospambob

I've had about 80% success using a brick chisel and claw hammer making
slight cuts on firm backing and having patience.

On Mon, 02 May 2005 12:40:12 -0500, JimL wrote:

I need to cut about a dozen brick into thirds and quarters. I've
not had any success just scoring and breaking with a hammer and
chisel. Never once got a clean break. Keep trying???

dadiOH

borgunit wrote:
You may try getting a masonry blade for your circular saw and scoring
with it.

Why score? Just cut the suckers. Lots of dust though

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

SteveB

"JimL" wrote in message
I need to cut about a dozen brick into thirds and quarters. I've
not had any success just scoring and breaking with a hammer and
chisel. Never once got a clean break. Keep trying???

Only if you got a few thousand, and are willing to cut them all to get
enough pieces the right size.

Rent a wet saw or ask around. Accurate cuts. No dust. The RIGHT way to do
it. And the easy way.

Batta bing batta boom done.

Dry cutting will have you coughing up dust for a month. Don't do it.
Oldtime miners died from the same thing. Very dangerous. Holding small
pieces of brick in your hand whilst cutting with a power blade is an
application for a Darwin Award in the making. And it is very hard to anchor
them down so they cut straight and don't take off like a slap shot.

Wet saws are a joy after you have used one on a project. Not really
expensive, either, and available used for a song sometimes. Maybe a friend
has one.

Do it once. Do it right.

Steve

BobK207

Wet saw is the "right" way, no mess & good result.

Or get a dry diamond blade for your Skil saw. Set up your shop vac
(with HEPA element) to control the dust.

I cut about a dozen red bricks to length this way to finish of a small
brick walkway.

BTW a clamped them in the top of my Work-Mate.

DO NOT ATTEMPT to hold in your hand

cheers
Bob

JimL

On 3 May 2005 12:13:09 -0700, "BobK207" wrote:

Wet saw is the "right" way, no mess & good result.

Or get a dry diamond blade for your Skil saw. Set up your shop vac
(with HEPA element) to control the dust.

I cut about a dozen red bricks to length this way to finish of a small
brick walkway.

BTW a clamped them in the top of my Work-Mate.

DO NOT ATTEMPT to hold in your hand

cheers
Bob

I'll start looking for a blade.