Default Wood Floor over Concrete Slab

Any suggestions on how to go about installing a hardwood floor over a
concrete slab?

I'd rather go wall-to-wall carpet for obvious insulation benefits but
never mind that.

Would laminate be the way to go? If so, any kind of under-material
required or recommended?

Thanks!

Bill Fischer

Look at www.kahrs.com.

I installed the wood flooring "floating" over an underlayment supplied
with my Kahrs order. True, I did it on the second floor over the wood.

The cement has to be dry and relatively level.

Bill Fischer.

wrote:
Any suggestions on how to go about installing a hardwood floor over a
concrete slab?

I'd rather go wall-to-wall carpet for obvious insulation benefits but
never mind that.

Would laminate be the way to go? If so, any kind of under-material
required or recommended?

Thanks!

NOFMA (National Organization of Flooring Manufacturers) web site
includes several tech tips.
TB

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
Any suggestions on how to go about installing a hardwood floor over a
concrete slab?

I'd rather go wall-to-wall carpet for obvious insulation benefits but
never mind that.

Would laminate be the way to go? If so, any kind of under-material
required or recommended?

Real wood is not recommended over a slab on or below grade. It can be done
by putting down sleepers and insulation and a vapor barrier but then the
floor is raised about 2" or more.

Engineered hardwood or laminate can be used with the proper barrier. I used
Mannington engineered wood with very good results. www.mannington.com
There are many good brands and selections. I'd go to a real flooring store
rather than the big box stores if you want a good quality.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

I had a feeling real wood wouldn't work in this situation.

Yeah, I see boxes of cheap laminate in every big box around, HD, Cosco,
etc. I was never tempted to gamble on it.

Thanks for the tips!

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

You really can't put down full thickness hardwood flooring onto concrete
without first building up a subfloor. Recommended thickness is 2 layers of
3/4" ply I believe. Manufacturer's now are selling 3/8"-1/2" thick
hardwood flooring that they say can be used directly on concrete. Method
of install is by gluing down the floor vs. nailing it. Check out the
websites listed above and I believe they give the details for doing this.
Cheers,
cc

wrote in message
oups.com...
Any suggestions on how to go about installing a hardwood floor over a
concrete slab?

I'd rather go wall-to-wall carpet for obvious insulation benefits but
never mind that.

Would laminate be the way to go? If so, any kind of under-material
required or recommended?

Thanks!

### micro-FAQ on wood # 036 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 0 April 14th 05 08:34 AM
FAQ - Steambending gregg Woodworking 0 December 26th 04 02:06 PM
### micro-FAQ on wood # 027 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 0 December 23rd 04 06:15 PM
### micro-FAQ on wood # 014 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 0 July 10th 04 01:38 PM
### micro-FAQ on wood # 011 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 0 June 3rd 04 06:48 AM