chester

Default # of coats-minwax fast dry polye-exterior door

I am finishing a set of french doors that will open out, to the east, in
seattle, so although there is no overhang outside, the exposure
shouldn't be too bad. I am using Minwax fast drying polyuerathane.
Before anyone comments, I am using this, and not switching. I am sure
there are better products out there, but this is it. I had an ...
unpleasant experience several years ago with Minwax Spar Urethane, so I
WON"T be using that. I was planning on 5-6 coats on the outside
exposure, but was wondering if this is overkill (i.e. is there a point
of diminished return). I got three coats on one side of one door (ugh 3
more door sides to go). Any input is appreciated.
m Ransley

Use as many coats as you need to get a good finish.
But you are using an interior product that is not UV resistant and will
not flex as you doors will. So it wont last. There are other Marine
grade products out there. Using an interior product outside is well you
get the drift.

SJF

"chester" wrote in message
I am finishing a set of french doors that will open out, to the east, in
seattle, so although there is no overhang outside, the exposure
shouldn't be too bad. I am using Minwax fast drying polyuerathane.
Before anyone comments, I am using this, and not switching. I am sure
there are better products out there, but this is it. I had an ...
unpleasant experience several years ago with Minwax Spar Urethane, so I
WON"T be using that. I was planning on 5-6 coats on the outside
exposure, but was wondering if this is overkill (i.e. is there a point
of diminished return). I got three coats on one side of one door (ugh 3
more door sides to go). Any input is appreciated.

My experience with varnish on exterior surfaces exposed to the sun has not
been good, even with the UV screening products. Seems the wood-varnish
interface fails and the varnish flakes off. Totally shaded surfaces do not
have this problem. Never tried marine varnishes. Supposedly they are
better but I wonder. --- SJF

m Ransley

Ive used P&L marine varnish on alot of jobs, on boats and doors done 20
years ago look fine today ,perhaps 30 jobs as I used to do alot of wood
work for a living. It probably costs near 100 a gallon today as I paid
70$ 20 years ago. None of the jobs have failed yet. There are cheap
products and there are good ones. The key is not varnishing in sun, a
hot surface or one that will recieve sun for 24 hrs. Regular polys
yellow fast and non marine usualy fail in 5-7 years. When you consider
the cost of re-stripping in 5-7 years 100 a gallon is cheap, it is the
labor that is expensive.