Pompeyfan

Default Soundproofing a room

I want to soundproof a room, where my wife can get some peace and
quiet from our son, I was thinking of cork tiles, does anyone know
whether these absorb much sound?, any alternative suggestions?, we
are on a bit of a limited budget.
Any replies appreciated.

Oscar_Lives

"Pompeyfan" wrote in message
news:aedb1$42670922$455da0d2$9924@allthenewsgroups .com...
I want to soundproof a room, where my wife can get some peace and
quiet from our son, I was thinking of cork tiles, does anyone know
whether these absorb much sound?, any alternative suggestions?, we
are on a bit of a limited budget.
Any replies appreciated.

Instead of treating the symptoms of the real problem, why not correct your
son's behavior?

jeffc

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message

"Pompeyfan" wrote in
message news:aedb1$42670922$455da0d2$9924@allthenewsgroups .com...
I want to soundproof a room, where my wife can get some peace and
quiet from our son, I was thinking of cork tiles, does anyone know
whether these absorb much sound?, any alternative suggestions?, we
are on a bit of a limited budget.
Any replies appreciated.

Instead of treating the symptoms of the real problem, why not correct your
son's behavior?

Oh brother, just what we needed.

PrecisionMachinisT

"jeffc" wrote in message
. com...

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message

Instead of treating the symptoms of the real problem, why not correct

your
son's behavior?

Oh brother, just what we needed.

Jeff,

Just go back to playing with your 'ken' doll....

And do try and be more quiet from now on !!!

--

SVL

Joseph Meehan

Pompeyfan wrote:
I want to soundproof a room, where my wife can get some peace and
quiet from our son, I was thinking of cork tiles, does anyone know
whether these absorb much sound?, any alternative suggestions?, we
are on a bit of a limited budget.
Any replies appreciated.

The problem is not your wife, it is the noise. Don't isolate the wife.

If you are unable or unwilling to change the noise from the son, then
provide sound proofing of a place for the son to make his noise. How to do
that depends on the type of noise and home construction.

http://www.soundproofing.org/

In general you want to block air exchange. Air caries sound very well.
(Try opening your car's window as a train is going by.)

Next you want weight. Heavy things (drywall lead sheets etc.) block
sound well.

You also want to prevent any direct solid connections. Stagger wall
studs or use special isolation devices to keep the sound from traveling
through the wall (remember the two cans on a string (well wire actuarially
worked) you want to break the wire).

Filling in wall cavities with sound absorbing materials (accustical
fiberglass bats) will do a little.

Point source control (special absorption material) at the source of the
sound will also help.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia's Muire duit

No

snip
I want to soundproof a room, where my wife can get some peace and
quiet from our son,

snip

The problem is not your wife, it is the noise. Don't isolate the wife.

If you are unable or unwilling to change the noise from the son, then
provide sound proofing of a place for the son to make his noise. How to do
that depends on the type of noise and home construction.

snip

Point source control (special absorption material) at the source of the
sound will also help.

snip

Point source control of the son!!!! That conjures up some interesting
images!!!

HeyBub

Pompeyfan wrote:
I want to soundproof a room, where my wife can get some peace and
quiet from our son, I was thinking of cork tiles, does anyone know
whether these absorb much sound?, any alternative suggestions?, we
are on a bit of a limited budget.
Any replies appreciated.

Earplugs? Fifty cents.

Joseph Meehan

No wrote:
snip
I want to soundproof a room, where my wife can get some peace and
quiet from our son,

snip

The problem is not your wife, it is the noise. Don't isolate the
wife.

If you are unable or unwilling to change the noise from the son,
then provide sound proofing of a place for the son to make his
noise. How to do that depends on the type of noise and home
construction.

snip

Point source control (special absorption material) at the source
of the sound will also help.

snip

Point source control of the son!!!! That conjures up some interesting
images!!!

And I can think of plenty that should be used. :-)

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia's Muire duit

William W. Plummer

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Pompeyfan wrote:

[...]

Meehan's info is correct. In the past I have been successful in
blocking sound by staggering 2x3 studs on 2x4 plates and weaving pink
insulation between them. The idea is to avoid "drum heads" two sheet
rock walls on oppposite sides of the same studs.

Note that DoD requires "lead curtains" in the walls of secure work
areas. Again the idea is that the mass of the lead prevents coupling
of the sound impulses from one side to the other. Not cheap, but very
effective.
jeffc

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message

Jeff,

Just go back to playing with your 'ken' doll....

And do try and be more quiet from now on !!!

Hey SVL, why don't you just bite me?

Joseph Meehan

tm wrote:

In the past I have been successful in
blocking sound by staggering 2x3 studs on 2x4 plates and weaving pink
insulation between them. The idea is to avoid "drum heads" two sheet
rock walls on oppposite sides of the same studs.

Pink insulation woven between is pointless.

I don't remember if it is pink, but there is a fiberglass insulation
available that is also acoustical. It is not all that effective, but it
does help some. As I recall it works a little for voice frequencies and
little at low frequencies that are often a problem with music or TV sounds.
I would not rely on it.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia's Muire duit

SELL this FBI NOC LIST and MAKE MILLIONS like TOM CRUISE did in MISSION IMPOSSIBLE Keith Woodworking 0 October 25th 04 01:45 PM
Adding Room Stat Mark Trueman UK diy 15 October 22nd 04 07:02 PM
Combi Boiler and Room Thermostats Daern's Instant Fortress UK diy 5 May 10th 04 10:23 AM
Number and positioning of downlights in living room SPC UK diy 11 March 15th 04 10:01 PM
CH / Boiler Firing even though Programmer is set to off when room thermo is up! Mobileadam UK diy 2 October 2nd 03 12:19 PM