Hamilton Audio

Default water / pipe hammer?

I've got a 20 year old bi-level - and have an interesting phenomenon. Just
lately I've noticed that when I flush the downstairs toilet, just after the
tank refills I get a low-frequency droning/vibration that seems to be coming
from the main water lead from the water meter in the basement.

It drones/vibrates (almost seems like "bass" from a kids car outside) for
between 5 and 10 seconds and then goes away. I've noticed that when its
vibrating, if I run the basement sink, it stops instantly. No other
faucets/toilets cause the pipe to do this.

Any thoughts? I've read this is water hammer, but its not a banging or
clanking, but rather a fast vibration. Whats the cause and any cure? I
don't care about the noise as much as I am worried that the vibration is
going to cause a broken solder joint somewhere which leads to flooding....

??

bmoney

AutoTracer

Sounds more like you have a problem with that toilet valve closing too
slowly (valve flutter is often caused by torn or worn rubber in the valve
seat). Especially if this is a recent development. I used to get this when
I closed a certain shower faucet just the right amount, replacing the rubber
washer was the fix there.

Possible that you hear the vibration far away from the toilet because that
is the only part of the piping system not secured to something solid.
Pressure waves from a faulty tailet valve may propagate through the pipe
until it hits a valve (or meter) and reflects. Opening another faucet
changes the pressure in the pipe and either shuts down the vibration
directly by lowering the pressure or more likly allows the valve in the
toilet to slam shut. Only cost you $10 to buy and replace the toilet valve
yourself to find out.

"Hamilton Audio" wrote in message
[...]

Speedy Jim

Hamilton Audio wrote:

[...]

Not water hammer. Caused by a particular brand of ballcock
when it is worn out. Replace the ballcock in that toilet.

Jim
Joseph Meehan

Hamilton Audio wrote:
[...]

It could be water hammer, but I would tend towards a worn ball cock
valve.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia's Muire duit

Hamilton Audio

When you say ballcock valve I have to assume its the small shutoff valve
right before the tank? I closed it about 3/4 of a
turn today and behold! No vibration. When it starts happening again I'll
change it out. Thanks to those who chimed in - I
never would have guessed a worn out ball valve could make the pipes sing
like this!

bmoney

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Hamilton Audio wrote:
[...]

Speedy Jim

Hamilton Audio wrote:

When you say ballcock valve I have to assume its the small shutoff valve
right before the tank? I closed it about 3/4 of a
turn today and behold! No vibration. When it starts happening again I'll
change it out. Thanks to those who chimed in - I
never would have guessed a worn out ball valve could make the pipes sing
like this!

bmoney

No! Ballcock is the "float" valve *inside* the tank.

Closing the shutoff partway may seem to solve the problem
for now, but can cause other problems. Many of those shutoffs
are designed to be either fully closed or fully open.
Partway can make the washer inside vibrate and REALLY
produce hammering.

Jim

Hamilton Audio wrote:

[...]

Joseph Meehan

Hamilton Audio wrote:
When you say ballcock valve I have to assume its the small shutoff
valve right before the tank? I closed it about 3/4 of a
turn today and behold! No vibration. When it starts happening again
I'll change it out. Thanks to those who chimed in - I
never would have guessed a worn out ball valve could make the pipes
sing like this!

bmoney

No sorry. I just copied an error totally without any thought process.
It is the float valve you need to check.

Hamilton Audio wrote:
[...]

Hamilton Audio

So we're talking about the rubber "flapper" deal that has the chain/handle
attached to it? Or is it the white mechanism to the left of that which
allows the water to enter the tank? Sorry - I'm a newbie toilet guy

bmoney

Hamilton Audio wrote:

[...]

Joseph Meehan

Hamilton Audio wrote:
So we're talking about the rubber "flapper" deal that has the
chain/handle attached to it? Or is it the white mechanism to the
left of that which allows the water to enter the tank? Sorry - I'm a
newbie toilet guy

No we are talking about the valve that controls the water coming into
the tank. It is call the "Filler valve" in the example below:

http://home.howstuffworks.com/toilet1.htm

bmoney

Hamilton Audio wrote:

[...]

Benalto

Man, I'm having similar problems and hope someone can help me. Found
this thread/forum via google typing stuff in....

This is a very recent development. About 10 days ago, I changed
the...the thing that stops the water in the toilet...they don't even
name it in that howstuffworks link. It's the ball thing at the end of
the chain. My last one, something rotted away, so I bought a new one.
Now, whenever the toilet is flushed, there's this massive vibration
happening immediately after the toilet is filled with water. It's
crazy! I've tried just turning off the toilet and it still vibrates.
It's vibrating right now as I type. So it's not just 5-10
seconds....
Couple things: I don't know...the filler valve is that big thing that
floats, right? You know, as soon as I replaced the plug/chain deal,
when you flush the toilet you have to hold the handle down until it's
done flushing, it didn't just float/regulate and let you walk away.
That's definitely a symptom of my main problem, right?
Should I get out of my house? Should I replace everything inside the
toilet?