kevin

Default two ground screws on outlet

I have been rewiring the garage, and running in to all sorts of crazy
wiring. But here is something I have never seen befo a normal brown
outlet with the normal 4 screws (2 hot, 2 neutral), but with TWO green
ground screws, on either side. I assume this is/was to make it easy to
just wire incoming ground to one screw, then outgoing ground to the
other, without need for a pigtail. Or same if it were (at the end of) a
split circuit with two incoming cables.

This doesn't sound entirely kosher to me: I thought the ground path was
not supposed to rely on a device, such as an outlet. Is this just
outdated, or is there some other reason for it?

Thanks,
Kevin

BTW - my favorite oddity in the garage (this one just silly). A part of
the circuit was connected to the rest through a male + female plug
installed into the middle of a cable. Even though both sides of the
cable had a ground, and they had a 3-prong female plug, apparently they
could only get a 2 prong male side. So they sawed off the ground prong.
Then, to top it off, they immediately put the plug in upside down in
the socket, to get swapped hot on the downstream circuit.

AlanBown

"kevin" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I remember installing outlets like you describe something like 20 years ago.
Then the discovered that they the manufacture could save a penny.

kevin

... scerws are not connected together.

No, they are definitely connected together -- they are both mounted
directly to the metal strip running down the back of the device.

Pigtail the grounds...

Yup, did this, although I'm not too sure why -- seems like the two
screwdowns are probably as good as a wire nut, but maybe not.

... or better yet change the recptacles and make the rest right.

Huh? The receptacles seem perfectly fine, other than having two ground
screws when only one is customary. What did you mean?

2- vs. 3-prong outlets Suzie-Q Home Repair 30 April 19th 04 06:55 PM
Question To you HVAC folks Gunner Metalworking 23 January 12th 04 12:15 PM
240 volt wiring Charles Home Repair 11 December 30th 03 11:13 PM
Two electrical questions, please Ivan Vegvary Metalworking 13 December 28th 03 08:32 PM
replacing old non-grounded (2 prong) electric receptacles David Jensen Home Repair 27 August 26th 03 12:14 AM