Doe John

Default Brushcutters

Hi:

I need to cut down very thorny, woody brush, about a quarter acre to
half acres worth. Machete doesn't do the trick at all. Just bounces
off the brush. Trimmers with cords, forget about it. I need a hand
held brushcutter with a saw at the end. The ones with toothed saws
from Stihl and Husqvarna top out at around 800 bucks. Cheapest ones
are under 400. Too much for one day's need.

I have a John Deere C1200 gas trimmer. At Lowes, I saw a Troy Bilt
brushcutter blade attachment for 69 bucks. A four pronged blade, not
saw-toothed. COuldn't find info on the web whether this attachment
could be used for this John Deere brand. I remember the box stated
works on most brands of gas trimmers. I am assuming it is best for
Troy Bilt products.

Anyone here used the Troy Bilt brushcutter blade attachment?

I also saw pruning and edger attachments at Home Depot and Lowes. I
wonder if the pruning attachent could be used since the brush I have
is essentially small branches. Not sure if continuous use of an
electric pruning attachment like a trimmer is recommended.

David Martel

John,

I'm not familiar with your line trimmer but doubt that it will work well
as a brush cutter. Your owners manual will address this question so read it
and perhaps describe needed parts. You can rent a brush cutter by the day.

Dave M.

zxcvbob

Doe John wrote:
[...]

The key is the trimmer needs a straight shaft with a solid driveshaft;
not a flex-shaft (even if it is straight).

That 4-tooth blade is "weed blade" and does a fine job of cutting heavy
grass and non-woody weeds. A "brush blade" look just like a circular
saw blade with 20 or more teeth. They don't work as well as a weed
blade on grass and tender weeds, but can handle anything up to 1/2" or
more saplings.

I have an Echo SRM-2200 trimmer that I bought over 15 years ago. It can
take metal blades and would handle trimming 1/2 acre of brambles, but it
might be a *little* underpowered for the job. You can buy comparable
Echo trimmers for about $300. Don't buy a big monster trimmer like my
dad did; they are too heavy and unwieldy.

A quick google search looks like the C1200 probably has a curved shaft;
if so, I wouldn't try to adapt a blade for it or you will spring the
driveshaft.

Best regards,
Bob
Goedjn

I need to cut down very thorny, woody brush, about a quarter acre to
half acres worth. Machete doesn't do the trick at all. Just bounces
off the brush. Trimmers with cords, forget about it. I need a hand

Sharpen the machete. Actually, skip the machete and buy a
brush-hook and/or bank blade like these:

http://www.americantrails.org/resour...fo/tools3.html

--Goedjn
m Ransley

Look into renting something such as a weed wacker with circular saw
blade. it sounds like a one day cut 1 day cleanup . Long handle pruning
shears if the thorns are not to low. A pole trimming saw will keep you
out of thorns. It is a small area and work will be all day electric
would not be that bad.

Takoma Park Volunteer Fire Department Postmaster

Doe John wrote:
[...]

Goedjn is right you need a brush hook. If you have never used one then
stick to a strap brush hook that is sharpened on one edge only. An adz
eye or blood brush hook and a bank blade are not for beginners. With a
little care and practice a brush hook will make relatively short work of
the brambles. The other approach is to rent a walk behind brush mower.
--
Tom H
zxcvbob

Takoma Park Volunteer Fire Department Postmaster wrote:
Doe John wrote:

[...]

How about a swing blade? (I forgot about those until y'all mention the
brush hooks.)

Bob
Bob S.

zxcvbob wrote:

The key is the trimmer needs a straight shaft with a solid

driveshaft;
not a flex-shaft (even if it is straight).

Just curious - why not a flex shaft? I've used one for 10 years and
have not had any problems.

That 4-tooth blade is "weed blade" and does a fine job of cutting

heavy
grass and non-woody weeds. A "brush blade" look just like a circular

saw blade with 20 or more teeth. They don't work as well as a weed
blade on grass and tender weeds, but can handle anything up to 1/2"

or
more saplings.

I use a 8 1/4" carbide tipped circular saw blade on my Polan weedeater
and routinely cut saplings up to 4". (No comments about safety - I keep
the rpm's well below specs). They even make a brush blade with a chain
saw chain around a circular saw blade frame. Looks agressive but does
not work as well as a standard saw blade.

Bob S.

zxcvbob

Bob S. wrote:

Just curious - why not a flex shaft? I've used one for 10 years and
have not had any problems.

If the blade hits something hard and stops abruptly (like a stump) it
can unwind the flex shaft -- just my opinion, I don't have any references.

That 4-tooth blade is "weed blade" and does a fine job of cutting
heavy grass and non-woody weeds. A "brush blade" look just like a
circular saw blade with 20 or more teeth. They don't work as well
as a weed blade on grass and tender weeds, but can handle anything
up to 1/2" or more saplings.

I use a 8 1/4" carbide tipped circular saw blade on my Polan
weedeater and routinely cut saplings up to 4". (No comments about
safety - I keep the rpm's well below specs).

I've cut 1" mesquite with mine with a 7.5" blade, but it was a bitch. I
wouldn't want to cut a bunch of saplings with a brush cutter when an axe
would be so much easier.

They even make a brush blade with a chain saw chain around a circular
saw blade frame. Looks agressive but does not work as well as a
standard saw blade.

Bob S.

I have a short (about 10") lawnmower blade on mine. ==(8-0 It doesn't
kickback nearly as much as you would expect.

I mostly use the weed blade when the monsoons come and it rains every
day for 2 weeks and I have to cut the overgrown grass in the lawn wet.
It works much better than the lawnmower in that case.

Best regards,
Bob
Doe John

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 22:40:37 GMT, Takoma Park Volunteer Fire
Department Postmaster wrote:

Goedjn is right you need a brush hook. If you have never used one then
stick to a strap brush hook that is sharpened on one edge only. An adz
eye or blood brush hook and a bank blade are not for beginners. With a
little care and practice a brush hook will make relatively short work of
the brambles. The other approach is to rent a walk behind brush mower.

I have a sling blade, I think that is what it is called, but it only
works with the dead brush, not the living ones. Unfortunately Home
Depot and Lowes does not carry anything like a brush hook. Ames makes
a couple of Ditch blades.

If I could get to the trunks of the brush, I could cut them with
pruners. However, there is a tremendous amount of overgrowth of thorny
branches. I would have to wear a suit of armor and crawl underneath to
use the pruner. Will the brush hook/ditch blade hack away at the
thorny outergrowth branches? Using a pruner to cut away at the
individual branches to get to the center would take forever.

THanks