zxcvbob

Bob S. wrote:

Just curious - why not a flex shaft? I've used one for 10 years and
have not had any problems.

If the blade hits something hard and stops abruptly (like a stump) it
can unwind the flex shaft -- just my opinion, I don't have any references.

That 4-tooth blade is "weed blade" and does a fine job of cutting
heavy grass and non-woody weeds. A "brush blade" look just like a
circular saw blade with 20 or more teeth. They don't work as well
as a weed blade on grass and tender weeds, but can handle anything
up to 1/2" or more saplings.

I use a 8 1/4" carbide tipped circular saw blade on my Polan
weedeater and routinely cut saplings up to 4". (No comments about
safety - I keep the rpm's well below specs).

I've cut 1" mesquite with mine with a 7.5" blade, but it was a bitch. I
wouldn't want to cut a bunch of saplings with a brush cutter when an axe
would be so much easier.

They even make a brush blade with a chain saw chain around a circular
saw blade frame. Looks agressive but does not work as well as a
standard saw blade.

Bob S.

I have a short (about 10") lawnmower blade on mine. ==(8-0 It doesn't
kickback nearly as much as you would expect.

I mostly use the weed blade when the monsoons come and it rains every
day for 2 weeks and I have to cut the overgrown grass in the lawn wet.
It works much better than the lawnmower in that case.

Best regards,
Bob