KenM

Default Need tile cutting tip

I'm trying to cut 18"x18" porcelain tiles with a cutter I got from Lowes.
If I cut a tile more or less in equal peices, it snaps OK. If I try to cut
3" off a side, the big piece usually gets chipped 1/2" in the corner where I
snap it. Is there some secret for using the tile cutter, especially when
trying to snap off smaller pieces?

Thanks.

Ken

Charles Spitzer

"KenM" wrote in message
I'm trying to cut 18"x18" porcelain tiles with a cutter I got from Lowes.
If I cut a tile more or less in equal peices, it snaps OK. If I try to
cut
3" off a side, the big piece usually gets chipped 1/2" in the corner where
snap it. Is there some secret for using the tile cutter, especially when
trying to snap off smaller pieces?

Thanks.

Ken

rent a wet saw for a day to do all your cuts, or take them to lowes and have
them do it on their wet saw for a very small fee.

RicodJour

KenM wrote:
I'm trying to cut 18"x18" porcelain tiles with a cutter I got from

Lowes.
If I cut a tile more or less in equal peices, it snaps OK. If I try

to cut
3" off a side, the big piece usually gets chipped 1/2" in the corner

where I
snap it. Is there some secret for using the tile cutter, especially

when
trying to snap off smaller pieces?

Porcelain tiles can be a bitch. Time to rent/borrow a wet saw.

JimL

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 16:36:07 -0400, "KenM" wrote:

I'm trying to cut 18"x18" porcelain tiles with a cutter I got from Lowes.
If I cut a tile more or less in equal peices, it snaps OK. If I try to cut
3" off a side, the big piece usually gets chipped 1/2" in the corner where I
snap it. Is there some secret for using the tile cutter, especially when
trying to snap off smaller pieces?

Thanks.

Ken

Are you placing the tile score line on a sharp edge to break it and
are you using a tool that is 18 in long to break it?

Big Al

KenM wrote:
I'm trying to cut 18"x18" porcelain tiles with a cutter I got from Lowes.
If I cut a tile more or less in equal peices, it snaps OK. If I try to cut
3" off a side, the big piece usually gets chipped 1/2" in the corner where I
snap it. Is there some secret for using the tile cutter, especially when
trying to snap off smaller pieces?

Thanks.

Ken

Don't use a snap cutter for porcelain. Wet saw.

--
BS205© DOF#FiftyTo G&W CVNS-FD#1®

Kegs are for Beers -

Depending on the job size even a cheap one (88.00) is better than
the ol snap method.

If you have to make holes, go for a rotozip (or anything similar) to
make any size hole or opening.

cutting floor tile iin place [email protected] Home Repair 2 March 14th 05 09:17 PM
Cutting ceramic tile (?) Home Repair 7 July 12th 04 09:01 PM
Cutting hole in INCREDIBLY HARD ceramic tile GeekBoy Home Repair 12 June 14th 04 10:22 PM
cutting hole in ceramic tile Dave Liquorice UK diy 20 July 30th 03 02:01 PM
Cutting a tile in situ? Shelagh Roberts UK diy 7 July 28th 03 10:33 PM