Shelagh Roberts

Default Cutting a tile in situ?

Hi,

dumb bunny moment #23 - stuck one more wall tile on than required and now it
is where a corner of the WHB should go.

Offered the WHB up, and it covers part of the tile, in a curve.

So:

do I remove the complete tile, fix the WHB , cut a curve out of a new tile,
and fix it

or

do I cut a curve in the tile in situ, and remove part of the tile, then fit
the WHB?

If so, how?

Cheers
Dave R
[on another computer]

Toby

"Shelagh Roberts" wrote
Offered the WHB up, and it covers part of the tile, in a curve.
do I remove the complete tile, fix the WHB , cut a curve out of a new

tile,
and fix it or do I cut a curve in the tile in situ, and remove part of the

tile, then fit
the WHB?

If it's a cloakroom WHB, I'd completely tile the wall then place WHB over
the tiles.
For a main bathroom basin, I'd do a similar job but miss out tiles should
they be completely hidden under a void.
I think it gives a better appearance and a useful recess for the sealant.

--
Toby.

NTL. Bringing you yesterday's news today, and a bit of last week's. Maybe.

Shelagh Roberts

"Toby" wrote in message
"Shelagh Roberts" wrote
Offered the WHB up, and it covers part of the tile, in a curve.
do I remove the complete tile, fix the WHB , cut a curve out of a new

tile,
and fix it or do I cut a curve in the tile in situ, and remove part of

the
tile, then fit
the WHB?

If it's a cloakroom WHB, I'd completely tile the wall then place WHB over
the tiles.
For a main bathroom basin, I'd do a similar job but miss out tiles should
they be completely hidden under a void.
I think it gives a better appearance and a useful recess for the sealant.

--
Toby.

NTL. Bringing you yesterday's news today, and a bit of last week's. Maybe.

Toby,
confused now.
If I tile behind the WHB, where is the recess for the sealant?
I was intending to fit WHB to wall and tile around it, as you would for a
bath.
This sinks the back of the WHB below the surface of the tiles and should
provide a better seal against water.
Problem now is what to do with one extra tile :-)
Cheers
Dave R

Toby

Toby,
confused now.

I see your original problem but unsure what would be best, cutting in situ
sounds difficult.

If I tile behind the WHB, where is the recess for the sealant?

I mean between the natural radius along the back of the basin and the tile
surface.

| __ _
|/ \_______/ \
||____________/
|| |

Toby.

Brian

"Shelagh Roberts" wrote in message
Hi,

dumb bunny moment #23 - stuck one more wall tile on than required and now

it
is where a corner of the WHB should go.

Offered the WHB up, and it covers part of the tile, in a curve.

So:

do I remove the complete tile, fix the WHB , cut a curve out of a new

tile,
and fix it

or

do I cut a curve in the tile in situ, and remove part of the tile, then

fit
the WHB?

If so, how?

Cheers
Dave R
[on another computer]

Dave,

As suggested elsewhere, tile the wall completely (or enough to go behind the
basin) and then fit the wash hand basin to the tiled surface.

You should then have enough room to seal the joint between the basin and
tiled wall either using tile cement or, (my preference) a silicone
anti-fungicidal mastic which can then be 'tooled off' to whatever shape that
you want.

This is the easiest way of doing it with the minimum of tile cutting.

Brian

Shelagh Roberts

"Brian" wrote in message

[...]

You're just trying to talk me out of buying a new tool :-)

O.K - thanks to all - will look at doing it that way!

BigWallop

"Shelagh Roberts" wrote in message

snipped

You're just trying to talk me out of buying a new tool :-)

O.K - thanks to all - will look at doing it that way!

A bath is totally different Shelagh. A bath has water pouring along it a
lot more than a WHB, because of showers and things. It also moves a lot
more than a WHB so needs a better seal against the wall.

A WHB is just stuck there, it doesn't move, it doesn't need anything fancy
to stop it moving or seal from minor water spillage. That's why everyone is
telling you to tile it before offering up the basin, then just a smear of
sealant along the back edge will stop the tiny dribbles.

The Natural Philosopher

David W.E. Roberts wrote:

"BigWallop" wrote in message

"Shelagh Roberts" wrote in message
et...

snipped

You're just trying to talk me out of buying a new tool :-)

O.K - thanks to all - will look at doing it that way!

A bath is totally different Shelagh. A bath has water pouring along it a
lot more than a WHB, because of showers and things. It also moves a lot
more than a WHB so needs a better seal against the wall.

A WHB is just stuck there, it doesn't move, it doesn't need anything fancy
to stop it moving or seal from minor water spillage. That's why everyone

is

telling you to tile it before offering up the basin, then just a smear of
sealant along the back edge will stop the tiny dribbles.

O.K. - try to remember I am a temporary cross dresser.

So far I have fitted the other WHBs against the wall and tiled round,
although they have been square(ish) ones instead of curved.
Setting them in tends to hide a multitude of sins and gives that extra bit
of protection against water ingress.
It is possible to wash your hair in the WHB using the shower from the bath
mixer (if you so desire) so splash protection is a good idea.

I always tile em in. The backs are never square.
Fasten em down at teh back with car body filler so they are ROCK solid,
then cut teh tile top fiot the edge less a nice 3mm or so grout line,
and grout em in =- or if a purist, use white silcopne (or if you were
daft enough to mount only using the bits that came with em.).

I have one remaining problem - I cut the waste pipe to fit with the WHB
inset - I don't think the depth of tile and grout will move it out far
enough to cause a problem, but we shall see!

Do it my way. Get a tile cutting diaond wheel and learb to sculpt tiles
with it., A fine file or emnery paper smotths teh cut edges nicely.

Cheers
Dave R
[a.k.a.Shelagh R.]

cutting hole in ceramic tile Dave Liquorice UK diy 20 July 30th 03 02:01 PM
Cutting Mitres Michael McNeil UK diy 8 July 21st 03 07:23 PM
Tiling Shower Area - adhesive spreading and tile cutting problems JohnB UK diy 7 July 20th 03 10:43 AM
tile quadrants as bath seal nomit UK diy 2 July 17th 03 01:32 PM
Removing tile transfers Barb UK diy 6 July 13th 03 12:25 PM