Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Joseph Chong

Default help peeling deck

I live in Vancouver Canada. We had our deck stained with a semitransparent
stain by student painters last June. This rainy winter it has already
peeled. The deck is cedar that lays on top of a membrane coated surface,
with about a half inch gap supplied by slats i guess they are called. The
fence and railings are not peeling, but I am wary. They applied a layer of
water based then oil based stain, telling me it was the way to go, now I am
realizing that this is not. There is no warranty on deck finishes.

Do you think it was the finish technique or the nature of the weather and
deck that caused the peeling? If I redo it now, what would you do? Because
the deck is close to but not in touch with water underneath is this the
cause of peeling and if so would you then sela the underside of all the deck
somehow? (The deck 'floats and is removable is segments so I could do that
but it is a huge job.). Is there a recommended type of product to use?

Any suggestions would be welcome. E-mail me at

thanks
joseph chong

Removing Mold From Plywood Deck HELP Michael Roback Home Repair 4 February 19th 05 05:25 PM
Securing a 2nd floor deck barry martin Home Repair 0 December 20th 04 01:39 PM
deck problem John D'Errico Home Repair 3 August 30th 04 12:02 AM
Cedar deck maintenance Eric Woodworking 3 October 11th 03 10:39 PM
Varnishing a house deck? [deck refinishing] Emily Lattella Home Repair 2 July 16th 03 08:07 PM