Edwin Pawlowski

"Joseph Chong" wrote in message
news:Y0%5e.943797$8l.498784@pd7tw1no...
They applied a layer of water based then oil based stain, telling me it
was the way to go, now I am realizing that this is not. There is no
warranty on deck finishes.

Do you think it was the finish technique or the nature of the weather and
deck that caused the peeling? If I redo it now, what would you do?

I don't think the mixing of latex and oil based was such a good idea, but
there may be more to it than just that. My deck was refinished with one of
the top brands of latex stain. The vertical portions are fine after five
years now, but the horizontal decking peeled away also staring after the
first winter. I'm not sure what I'm going to put on it this year, but I
know it will be something different.

One of my concerns is that the deck boards may be part of the problem. The
are pressure treated lumber, about 17 years old. Over time, some of the
pores opened up and the surface is marred with cracking. Over time with the
sun beating on it and freezing cycles over the winter, that may be
contributing to the early peeling.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/