new england gal

Default Repairing brick facade

The brick facade of my ranch style home has some minor holes in the
mortar. The wall faces north and the home is 20 years old. I would like
to take care of this before it becomes a real problem. In my previous
home I had the chimney repointed and the mason then sealed it with
Thompson's waterseal. Should I be considering this? Can I repair the
small gaps / holes in the mortar myself or will I be better off hiring
a mason? I don't mind paying for a mason if needed but they are hard
to get for these smaller jobs so I'd really like to try fixing this
myself if advisable.
Thanks for the help!

Peter H

"new england gal" wrote in message
ups.com...
The brick facade of my ranch style home has some minor holes in the
mortar. The wall faces north and the home is 20 years old. I would like
to take care of this before it becomes a real problem. In my previous
home I had the chimney repointed and the mason then sealed it with
Thompson's waterseal. Should I be considering this? Can I repair the
small gaps / holes in the mortar myself or will I be better off hiring
a mason? I don't mind paying for a mason if needed but they are hard
to get for these smaller jobs so I'd really like to try fixing this
myself if advisable.
Thanks for the help!

If the holes are down near the bottom of the walls, or just above windows
etc you should not plug them up as these are weeping holes designed to
release moisture that gets through the brick.

Peter H

Art

The sand and mortar mix needs to match or it will look like crap. Plus
don't fill weep holes. Sealant is bad for a properly built brick wall
unfortunately there are very few around.

"new england gal" wrote in message
ups.com...
The brick facade of my ranch style home has some minor holes in the
mortar. The wall faces north and the home is 20 years old. I would like
to take care of this before it becomes a real problem. In my previous
home I had the chimney repointed and the mason then sealed it with
Thompson's waterseal. Should I be considering this? Can I repair the
small gaps / holes in the mortar myself or will I be better off hiring
a mason? I don't mind paying for a mason if needed but they are hard
to get for these smaller jobs so I'd really like to try fixing this
myself if advisable.
Thanks for the help!

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new england gal
The brick facade of my ranch style home has some minor holes in the
mortar. The wall faces north and the home is 20 years old. I would like
to take care of this before it becomes a real problem. In my previous
home I had the chimney repointed and the mason then sealed it with
Thompson's waterseal. Should I be considering this? Can I repair the
small gaps / holes in the mortar myself or will I be better off hiring
a mason? I don't mind paying for a mason if needed but they are hard
to get for these smaller jobs so I'd really like to try fixing this
myself if advisable.
Thanks for the help!
A pastry bag, and a thinnish mix of mortar(so it'll squeeze through the bag) are all you really need. Tom
Work at your leisure!

repairing brick facing [email protected] Home Repair 1 March 24th 05 10:02 PM
Brick Facade Daremo Home Repair 3 January 20th 05 05:03 AM
HELP! Brick siding pulling away Don Task Home Repair 2 December 27th 03 10:43 PM
How do you measure a brick wall's height? Dean UK diy 1 August 1st 03 06:41 PM
painting exterior brick? someone please talk me out of it! ameijers Home Ownership 3 July 24th 03 07:44 PM