Olaf

"Matt" wrote in message
oups.com...
ALso, Gideon -

A record is kept of every cancel request; which is what was in that
20MB post I made. The info in those heaedrs shows who cancelled the
post. Using the info, the cancelled posts can be restored. This is what
Howard did.

You see, Howard doesn't care about the vitriol and fighting. WHat
****ed him off is people who abuse usenet. Cussing, flamewars, all of
it - is not an abuse of usenet.

Silencing the thoughts of others is most definitely an abuse. ANd,
thank god - there are still people in the world who stand up for the
original concept of UNIX and Usenet - the free, uninterrupted flow of
information... educational, abusive, distastefull.... or otherwise.

Cool! I thank you as well. :-D

Olaf

"Steve@carolinabreezehvac" wrote
in message ...

Read the FAQ and THEN you understand....

Mark

I think I'm starting to see..... What a mess. The FAQ were being
protected.... mmmhmmmmm!

Please... do tell... how did pjm get matt fired? What a bunch of feather
fluffing. :-D

It seemed to me, when I was lurking over there, that the FAQ were ravenously
defended... to the point of just being unnecessarily harsh. The world has a
bunch of people in it. Most of them don't fully research the intention of
every venue in which they seek help. I'd say it wouldn't be such a ****ty
place if the captains would just ignore the posts in violation of the FAQ.
Or perhaps politely redirect (like they try to do) then ignore the responses
and move on with their lives. Post a link to the FAQ and leave it at that.
There is enough room in the group for a bunch of unanswered posts... or a
bunch of bull**** ego-boosting name calling (or interesting suggestions
about what one can do to the captain's penis.)

If one is going to start a group where it is easily accessible to the
general public, then stop crying about it when the public comes to use it.
Find a venue (like....... a website perhaps) where one must be a licensed
professional to even register to log in and view things. Then the captains
won't have to whine and bully when the general public comes to be
informed.... in an unmoderated group open to the general public.

They are going to have a rough time if their intention is to turn a
(basically) public internet space into an elite semi-private group.

"Olaf" wrote in message

[...]

well.....the group was started back when the FEW people on the net,
understood what it meant to have a FAQ.
Paul will not agree with me on this, but its real simple...

Back in the day, you found the FAQ, you read it, thought about your post,
and then posted if it was within the FAQ guidelines.
You did that out of respect..now, its screw the FAQ, I can get the group, so
I can post to it....
True....anyone can post, and anyone can reply anyway they see fit. Its that
way in every group....but we have said time and time again to post here and
we would answer the questions.....most of the guys in alt.hvac wont even
open a homeowner question.
Now, what good would posting there be if NO ONE opened them?

Personally, I figure that if we are gonna answer them here, dont ask over
there. If you do, just be ready for whatever comes your way, since the same
so called right that allowed you to post there against the FAQ, also allows
replies to be geared in whatever vein they will be...
Ive been known to answer a question here, in detail, yet over there blast
the poster a new one...its all in the manner its presented, how its
presented, and if they get ****y when they are told to post it over here.

Olaf

" wrote in
message ...

[...]

I see. That's pretty much what I saw over there. A seemingly innocent person
came in with a DIY question, then was (politely) redirected to here. The OP
got ****y, and so did the regulars in return. I don't have to say who 'won'.
lol

I'm still a newbie pretty much. Never really dove too deeply into the
history of the net.. just started using it in 1999. I guess there is a
tendency to figure it's a free-for-all if you have legal access to it.

Gotta love it!

Thanks for taking the time. :-D

"tm" wrote in message
" wrote:

Back in the day, you found the FAQ, you read it, thought about your

post,
and then posted if it was within the FAQ guidelines.

Anyone can write a faq. I could write The Definitive Sooper Official
alt.hvac FAQ and suggest that all questions be asked in Hindi.

Go for it...be sure to write it in Hindu as well..

most of the guys in alt.hvac wont even open a homeowner question.

How would you know?

How do you know they do?

Dr. Hardcrab

"tm" wrote in message
" wrote:
"tm" wrote
" wrote:

Back in the day, you found the FAQ, you read it, thought about your
post,
and then posted if it was within the FAQ guidelines.

Anyone can write a faq. I could write The Definitive Sooper Official
alt.hvac FAQ and suggest that all questions be asked in Hindi.

Go for it...be sure to write it in Hindu as well..

Well, that would be just plain silly, Steve. As you well know, there's
no such language. But I suppose it would be no less silly than the
current faq.

Hey! faq you!!!

;-]

"tm" wrote in message
" wrote:
"tm" wrote
" wrote:

Back in the day, you found the FAQ, you read it, thought about your
post,
and then posted if it was within the FAQ guidelines.

Anyone can write a faq. I could write The Definitive Sooper Official
alt.hvac FAQ and suggest that all questions be asked in Hindi.

Go for it...be sure to write it in Hindu as well..

Well, that would be just plain silly, Steve. As you well know, there's
no such language. But I suppose it would be no less silly than the
current faq.

Well hell...you caught that...
Kudos onthat one...LOL