Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 20:38:03 +0000 (UTC), someone wrote:

... If so, does this expose the
existing holes as points of corrosion in the gutters?

What are your gutters made of, that corrosion is a problem?

Dan

Default Question about loose gutter spikes

My house's fascia and gutters were apparently installed in a non-standard
fashion. The fascia are reasonably attached to the house, but the
gutters are attached via a spike & ferrule method, with the spikes
seemingly randomly placed. They do not line up with rafter tails so
they go through the fascia and then into nothing. Previous owners do
not seem to have been super-dilligent in keeping the gutters cleared,
so the combination of all of this has led to the gutters pulling away
from the fascia, and the fascia is pulling away from the house in spots.

I have adressed this via a screws & ferrule approach. Since the
spikes were not lined up with rafter tails, I chose not to reuse the
existing holes, but to make new holes that line up with the rafter
tails. This seems to have made a world of difference, but I do have
one question: What should I do with the existing spikes, ferrules, and
holes in the gutter? Should I remove them? If so, does this expose the
existing holes as points of corrosion in the gutters? Maybe dab some
epoxy or glue on the spikes and tap them back into place? Any
thoughts?

-Thanks

Dan Campbell

v wrote:
On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 20:38:03 +0000 (UTC), someone wrote:

... If so, does this expose the
existing holes as points of corrosion in the gutters?

What are your gutters made of, that corrosion is a problem?

I am only supposing that corrosion might be an issue, I don't
know at all.

They seem to be aluminum. Does it not rust/corrode?

Obviously I am very new to maintaining metal structures outdoors.

I'd make sure the nail holes that go into nothing are covered so that
water doesn't seep inside. Couple dollars worth of caulk is a good
investment. Whether you leave the nails in place or not wouldn't
matter to me, if you take them out you'll have a bunch of holes, no ?
The gutters are probably aluminum, and thus will not rust.