Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default Questions about FHA inspection as Buyer

Hello,

First, my apologies if I don't get the terminology exactly right...this
is my first time buying a home.

I'm currently the buyer of a property and was approved for an FHA
mortgage. Sales agreement was signed (by both parties) which stated
that I was doing FHA (as opposed to conventional).

Everything is looking good for me except the pending FHA inspection.
The inspector is probably going to site 4 things that really aren't a
big deal, but could add up to $1000+ if the Seller plans to pay someone
else to do them (which I'm 99% certain they would have to).

My concern is I am under the impression that the Seller doesn't want to
put another dime into the property, so I don't know how they are going
to react to the inspector's report. I think I'm getting a pretty good
deal on the property (and friends/family that have seen the property
agree); and would still be getting a pretty good deal even if I had to
put up another $1000 (which I have in cash).

Because they signed the agreement stating I was FHA, are the obligated
to make the repairs? I don't think they are. I'm also pretty sure the
repairs are required for my FHA mortgage. Can I offer to pay for the
repairs if Seller refuses?

Andy Hill

[...]

Well, *somebody* has to pay for the repairs, assuming the cites are for defects
that preclude getting FHA mortgage insurance -- you can't get the loan until the
defects are addressed (now, if the cited defects don't give the FHA heartburn,
that's a different kettle of fish entirely). If the contract doesn't spell out
the terms, it's negotiation time with the seller. Personally, if you're
willing to pay for the repairs, I'd make a new offer with raised selling price
and a clause that "buyer will pay for all repairs required by FHA inspection up
to $xxxx", or something of that nature. I wouldn't recommend an "under the
table" payment for repairs -- if you're out the cash and the seller backs out at
the 11th hour, things could get sticky.